Geforce FX Problem

AceX

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003
I recently bought an ASUS Georce FX 5600 128mb card.

All seemed to be working fine, but when i checked the temp, it was quite high (63 degrees) and the voltage was something like 11, both were nearing the red in the meter. I had my fans on full power and this didnt help. I couldnt find any option in my bios to restrict voltage, which is what i thought the problem was. In Counterstrike for eg, i would have a constant fps rate, then it would drop to 5 for a few seconds, and at some points the csren freezes for 2 - 3 seconds. I dont understand why a new gfx card will just overheat the instant u buy it... Any ideas? the help is much appreciated and thank u for your time!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AceX on 09/16/03 08:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Return it and get a Radeon9600Pro instead...lol
anyway, how about the tempereature of yoru system? of your cpu? try run the system with the case opened and see..

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
In case you don't want to return it (my recommendation), you can try to take out the HSF and apply artic silver in order to improve heat transmission. Also try to improve airflow in GPU area. Anyway, my guess is that the card is too hot by itself, this two suggestions are only to oclude the real problem...

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
dude, he's playing CS, he doesn't need a R9600pro -_-

also, it's an FX WHAT DO U EXPECT ;)

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF