msconfig failing to load files during startup

March 17, 2005 7:41:02 PM

I think that msconfig is failing to completely run, with the result being
that the system does not load many necessary files. This may be related to a
problem in the Administrator/User system. I need help getting the system
back up.

This in Windows XP Home User, SP2 installed. Status: Can boot, run
certain applications, but no connection to broadband (doesn't even appear in
Internet Connections), certain services are unavailable (including msconfig
and the Administrator/User system themselves).

Background: System crashed while installing new RAM Dimms. I am
comfortable the memory now in place is good (both tested good by themselves
and the bad one is out). The crash appears to have corrupted something,
including something in the Registry. (On boot, a box pops up saying
something was successfully fixed, I think it says from the "log"(?) but no
info on what was corrupt.)
Before the crash, I had used msconfig to prevent certain programs from
starting up ("Startup" tab) and also some of the files in the tab to its left
(system files). NONE of those prevented were Microsoft files (I used the
"Hide MS files" checkbox.)

Problem: When I boot, the msconfig window (at least once or twice) came
up that says there were changes made. But it will NOT run msconfig. If you
try to run it (through command line) there is a box comes up that says, in
essence:
"Access denied while trying to change a configuration.
You may need to use an administrator account to ..."
This is the error you get when you lack Admin access. (I tried at work.)
But the account I'm in IS an admin account. I used it frequently to change
things in msconfig. The other account on the system is also an admin -- same
problem.

I think msconfig is NOT actually running. It acts like the items in the
last two tabs are not being loaded at all. For instance, nothing in the
"Startup" tab is being run, including Norton Internet, which was not "turned
off."

I also think that some of the system-type files in the tab to the left
also are not running. When I try to run the "User" appl (from Control Panel)
it says there is an error when it ran the page (looks sort of like a Java
error window) and asks if you want to keep running scripts (I think).
Doesn't matter what you say, tho--you have to manually close that box. Then
the "User Management" thing comes up, but there is just a top bar with
<--|--> arrows, and a blank screen. Thus, I cannot add an admin account, or
fix the status of the current accounts.

The Taskbar is damaged too. Originally, it was gone entirely, pushed down
and locked. Fixed that, but when I open an applicatoin, it does not show on
the Taskbar at all. Even when minimized, they appl's just go to a location
on top of the Desktop. I think the clock is the only thing that shows on the
"Notification" section to the far right. Start--and a bunch of random
"Quickstarts" are there.

Any help is appreciated.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:49:02 PM

Additional symptom:
TaskMgr shows that a svchost.exe file (one of several) appears to be running
at around 99% CPU time consistently.

"Arlington-HomeUser" wrote:

> [...]
> also are not running. When I try to run the "User" appl (from Control Panel)
> it says there is an error when it ran the page (looks sort of like a Java
> error window) and asks if you want to keep running scripts (I think).
> Doesn't matter what you say, tho--you have to manually close that box. Then
> the "User Management" thing comes up, but there is just a top bar with
> <--|--> arrows, and a blank screen. Thus, I cannot add an admin account, or
> fix the status of the current accounts.
>
> The Taskbar is damaged too. Originally, it was gone entirely, pushed down
> and locked. Fixed that, but when I open an applicatoin, it does not show on
> the Taskbar at all. Even when minimized, they appl's just go to a location
> on top of the Desktop. I think the clock is the only thing that shows on the
> "Notification" section to the far right. Start--and a bunch of random

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:11:38 AM

Arlington-Homeuser <Arlington-Homeuser@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Additional symptom:
>TaskMgr shows that a svchost.exe file (one of several) appears to be running
>at around 99% CPU time consistently.

Use Task Manager to End Task on that particular SVCHOST item and see
what happens.

I suspect that your computer is infested with some sort of
virus/spyware/trojan.

What antivirus software do you have installed and how up to date is
it?

What antispyware software do you have installed, how up to date is it,
and when did you last scan your computer with it?

Those answers will help to determine what the next course of action
should be.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
March 18, 2005 2:27:09 PM

Thanks, Ron.

BTW - the machine was running fine on Saturday and up to the day (Monday?)
that I swapped in the bad memory DIMM (see below). Thus, the timing is very
suspicious, and suggests to me the problem is crash-related.

See answers below:

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> Arlington-Homeuser <Arlington-Homeuser@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:

> Use Task Manager to End Task on that particular SVCHOST item and see
> what happens.

:: I will try. I might have tried before, but cannot remember exactly what
happened.

> I suspect that your computer is infested with some sort of
> virus/spyware/trojan.
>
> What antivirus software do you have installed and how up to date is
> it?

:: Norton Internet package -- it's on autoupdate (although I have to OK the
download). Last update probably less than a week before the crash.

> What antispyware software do you have installed, how up to date is it,
> and when did you last scan your computer with it?

AdAware SE, don't remember the update #, but I ran and checked for update
less than 2 weeks ago. Also have Spybot, similar answers. If exact dates / #
are key, I'll need to check my home machine (I'm obviously on another one
since there IS NO connection at home....).

> Those answers will help to determine what the next course of action
> should be.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:29:35 AM

wrote:

>Thanks, Ron.
>
>BTW - the machine was running fine on Saturday and up to the day (Monday?)
>that I swapped in the bad memory DIMM (see below). Thus, the timing is very
>suspicious, and suggests to me the problem is crash-related.

Try using Start - Run and entering

SFC /SCANNOW

in the dialog box.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:25:06 PM

Ran "SFC". There was no response.
I think that means that it found no errors.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> Arlington-Homeuser <Arlington-Homeuser@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Thanks, Ron.
> >
> >BTW - the machine was running fine on Saturday and up to the day (Monday?)
> >that I swapped in the bad memory DIMM (see below). Thus, the timing is very
> >suspicious, and suggests to me the problem is crash-related.
> >

> Try using Start - Run and entering
>
> SFC /SCANNOW
>
> in the dialog box.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:50:31 AM

wrote:

>Ran "SFC". There was no response.
>I think that means that it found no errors.

Update your Norton Antivirus and do a complete system scan.

Also update both AdAware SE and Spybot S&D and then do scans with
these. There have been recent new updates for both of these, and
Norton is updated at least once a week, and usually more often.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:50:32 AM

Uhh, that might be a bit difficult. I could do the scan. But as to updates,
as I mentioned, there is NO internet connection (not even one of the choices
on the list of connections). But I'll certainly update them once I have
re-installed Windows. This appears to be my only option. Thanks

!