Dell 2350 Working OK - - - - But I'm Curoius

I bought a 2350 two years ago for the grandkids, and it works just fine
for kid-level games and educational programs. I usually build all my
own PCs, but I couldn't resist the low price ($389 delivered, after all
applied discounts) for a turnkey system.

I'm building up a new SFF machine and I got curious about the parts in
the Dell, especially the CPU and memory. I found several threads on
the internet that hinted that the CPU, and possibly the memory, is
proprietary. Intel FredID utility reports CPU as 1.7 GHz FPGA2
Celeron. All other parts, except MB & PS appear to be off-the-shelf.

Is that a socket 370, socket 478, or something else? If true, what
makes it proprietary?
Any info from a real Dell Guru would be most appreciated.

The chassis and mainboard have Dell-specific design elements (wiring,
mounting). The other parts - memory, CPU, etc., are standard issue.
The memory is PC2100 DDR-DRAM and the CPU is a 400 MHz bus Socket 478
Celeron or P4.

DougSter wrote:
> I bought a 2350 two years ago for the grandkids, and it works just fine
> for kid-level games and educational programs. I usually build all my
> own PCs, but I couldn't resist the low price ($389 delivered, after all
> applied discounts) for a turnkey system.
>
> I'm building up a new SFF machine and I got curious about the parts in
> the Dell, especially the CPU and memory. I found several threads on
> the internet that hinted that the CPU, and possibly the memory, is
> proprietary. Intel FredID utility reports CPU as 1.7 GHz FPGA2
> Celeron. All other parts, except MB & PS appear to be off-the-shelf.
>
> Is that a socket 370, socket 478, or something else? If true, what
> makes it proprietary?
> Any info from a real Dell Guru would be most appreciated.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

DougSter wrote:

> I bought a 2350 two years ago for the grandkids, and it works just fine
> for kid-level games and educational programs. I usually build all my
> own PCs, but I couldn't resist the low price ($389 delivered, after all
> applied discounts) for a turnkey system.
>
> I'm building up a new SFF machine

"SFF" = "super french fries"?

;)

Socket 478. Intel is making Celeron-branded Socket 478 chips that run at close
to 3Ghz with 256K cache. Nothing proprietary about the CPU or the processor
socket. Memory is plain vanilla non-parity PC2100 184-pin DDR memory. The
ventilating fan attached to the rear of the case uses a proprietary 3-pin
connector to the motherboard. The retention mechanism on the motherboard and
the heat sink may be somewhat propreitary... Ben Myers

On 10 Jan 2005 16:31:53 -0800, "DougSter" <db_stewart@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I bought a 2350 two years ago for the grandkids, and it works just fine
>for kid-level games and educational programs. I usually build all my
>own PCs, but I couldn't resist the low price ($389 delivered, after all
>applied discounts) for a turnkey system.
>
>I'm building up a new SFF machine and I got curious about the parts in
>the Dell, especially the CPU and memory. I found several threads on
>the internet that hinted that the CPU, and possibly the memory, is
>proprietary. Intel FredID utility reports CPU as 1.7 GHz FPGA2
>Celeron. All other parts, except MB & PS appear to be off-the-shelf.
>
>Is that a socket 370, socket 478, or something else? If true, what
>makes it proprietary?
>Any info from a real Dell Guru would be most appreciated.

Thanks, guys - very useful info.
or, SFF could be "Super Freakin' Fast", but is really as Steve says.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> DougSter wrote:
>
>> I bought a 2350 two years ago for the grandkids, and it works just fine
>> for kid-level games and educational programs. I usually build all my
>> own PCs, but I couldn't resist the low price ($389 delivered, after all
>> applied discounts) for a turnkey system.
>>
>> I'm building up a new SFF machine
>
> "SFF" = "super french fries"?
>
> ;)

SFF= Small Form Factor

Steve

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Steve wrote:
> "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
>
>>DougSter wrote:
>>

>>>I bought a 2350 two years ago for the grandkids, and it works just fine
>>>for kid-level games and educational programs. I usually build all my
>>>own PCs, but I couldn't resist the low price ($389 delivered, after all
>>>applied discounts) for a turnkey system.
>>>
>>>I'm building up a new SFF machine
>>
>>"SFF" = "super french fries"?
>>
> SFF= Small Form Factor

Thanks - these things are always obvious once explained. :)

Just like troubleshooting, the problem, when found, is always the last
thing you check!

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

DougSter wrote:

> Just like troubleshooting, the problem, when found, is always the last
> thing you check!

Only a fool would continue to check after finding the problem!

:)

Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:

>DougSter wrote:

>> Just like troubleshooting, the problem, when found, is always the last
>> thing you check!

>Only a fool would continue to check after finding the problem!
>
>:)

Facile, but ...

All too many times, continuing my trouble-shooting after finding
*a* problem has turned up another contributor to whatever it was
that set me to trouble-shooting in the first place, or something
independently errant that would have eventually risen up to bite
me.

Once I've decided on a trouble-shooting course, I go through it
completely to the end. Yes, 90% or more of the time, the first
thing I discover wrong is the only thing wrong. So what? At
least I've verified the other items as proper. And with that 10%
of the time something else pops up, it's usually something that
would have been a stone bitch to discover standing alone.
--
OJ III