Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7600 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I bought a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate off of Ebay and finally got it in yesterday, the software installed ok and I was able to get all of the upgrades through microsoft using Windows Update and everything was working good. Today i get up start the computer and boot into Windows 7 and everything is great, just like yesterday. I go do some errands, come home and wake up the system and then:

"this copy of Wondows 7 is not genuine, please click here to fix this error."

Long story short MS wants $199 to make my copy pass their geniune software test, even though it passed all those tests yesterday?

1: Anyone know if this is a real eeero or did I get screwed?

2: It says I have build 7600, does anyone know if I can buy a legitimate key then use that on this and make it legitimate?

3: How could someone send me a version of Windows 7 Ultimate that worked fine yesterday, was able to pass whatever tests MS throws at it when I ran windows update several times, but today it doesn't pass?

4: Should I just uninstall this and throw away the disc?

Anyone know of a good place to get "REAL" "Authentic" Registration code for Windows 7 Ultimate that won't cost me $199.00?

Did your copy arrive in a proper retail box? Is it a proper DVD with a hologram, or just a rewritable? Have you actually talked to Microsoft about this? If so, and they say your copy isn't genuine, then it's a rip off. In the past they have legitamized copies bought in good faith if the victim helps them find the pirates.

But, if it is a rip off report it to eBay. They should help you recover your money.

aslanwcpu

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
the geniune update is the last on the list of updates. so you can go thru several updates and rebooted then still not get to the validation of win7u. i deployed many win7u in offices and didnt get the validation update til days later of the deployment.

sorry to say but i think you got burned on your win7u but you can give ebay a message and have that seller lose his acct.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

No it came just as a disc in a plain paper sleeve, I was leery about it but decided to try and install it anyway. What I thought would happen was i would install it, get to the point where it asked for the registration key and then it would fail, like has happened before when I installed XP and put in the incorrect reg code. Instead this registered fine and updated through MS to the point it said there were no other updates available but the language packs?

It worked great last night doing anything and everything I wanted it to do, no errors at all, then today same thing until I left for awhile and ran thos edamn errands :(.

Anyone have the correct telephone number to the proper department at Miscrosoft, so I can try and get this corrected? I might as well call them and see what they can do for me.

I had already opened up a case with Ebay because they guy I bought it from was taking forever to send it to me, after I got the problems today i escalated to Ebay CS and now they will take care of it. The Least that will happen is I get refunded the money from Ebay. I still need the software unfortunately :(.

aslanwcpu

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
i think you have 30 days or somethin before your ebay case is closed so make sure you stay on top it. i lost my purchase of office2007pro since i waited too long.

i havent reached microsoft without paying for it. and i am pretty sure they are only going to tell you to buy another license.. good luck..

infotech2112

Distinguished
May 16, 2008

I've called Microsoft ech support several times at this number: (800) MICROSOFT (642-7676)

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

Ebay works like this: Everything I buy from an auction and pay thru Paypal is guaranteed. The worst that will happen to me is that I get a full refund and a little aggrivation.

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I was going to get Win7 Ultimate, but really, the only thing it has over Pro is Bitlocker, and more languages. Do you need those things? I saved the extra 40 bucks or what ever it was and got Win7 Pro. put the extra money into better hardware.

windows7guy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hello alazeer,

I would not recommend downloading Windows 7 from any other site than the Official Microsoft Sites.
Additionally, it's always best to make sure you have a genuine version of Windows 7, this will entitle you to recieve updates and support from Microsoft with Genuine Advantage.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en
"Microsoft Genuine Advantage programs, including Windows Genuine Advantage, help you determine whether or not your copy of Windows is genuine. Genuine Windows software is published by Microsoft, properly licensed, and supported by Microsoft or an authorized partner, giving you full capabilities, access to all the latest updates, and confidence that you are getting the experience you expect. Microsoft continues to invest in education, engineering, and enforcement in order to more effectively combat software piracy. It’s part of Microsoft’s commitment to help protect its intellectual property and to help you avoid problems before they happen."

Please make sure that you have a officially licensed microsoft product which can be ordered directly from Microsoft and Authorized Resellers:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx

John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

Well You are definately not going to like what i now have to say about my call to Microsoft:

Earlier today Paypal got back to me on my open case against this hacker guy and they told me they would give me a refund but only after I send the item back to the seller. They obviously didn't know if I was disputing an elephant or bad software because whoever handled the case didn't bother reading it and now I can't do anything on the case but send the tiem back and provide them with tracking information or close the case (nice huh?)

So i say to myself that microsoft is not going to want me to send hacked software back to the guy who hacked it, right? RIGHT?

So i call microsoft and get melanie from the piracy division on the line and she tells me to go ahead and send the disc back to the guy, if that was the only way Paypal would give me a refund. When i ask her really? She then goes into a schpeel about how i should not buy from anywhere online unless it's a microsoft site (i'm sure all the retailers out there will be happy MS is telling customers NOT to use their sites for software purchases).

When I explain to her that I'm disabled living off of a fixed income and I cannot afford to buy software that cost $400.00 all she could say was "it doesn't cost $400.00, it only cost $320.00, ROFL???? So i tell her $400 or $320 it doesn't matter when you live on a fixed income from SSDI like I do thats almost half my monthly check, she could have cared less, She then goes into another schpeel about if you use the genuine advantage thing it will only cost you $199.00, I then laugh and tell her that she obviously doesn't care about me or the fact that I "TRIED" to do something right for Microsoft that even $199.00 for software is totally out of reach for someone in my position.

I wait for a responce, and I wait and I wait some more then the line goes silent, the bitch hung up on me. I didn't raise my voice, i didn't swear I didn't do anything at all that could remotely be considered as rude, cocky or insulting yet she still hung up on me?

The moral to this story is this:

Don't bother turning in someone who you think is hacking software, because Microsoft could care less! All Microsoft cares about is making money, as much of it as they can and it doesn't matter who gives them their money just as long as they give them a lot of it. microsoft could care less that their crap is priced far out of reach for most people, but especially the handicapped like me! I will NEVER EVER bother turning someone in who i see or know is pirating or hacking software. Screw you Microsoft! I try to do right by you guys and you hang up on me? Really? What a joke!

So, yah I'm going to return the disc Intact to the hacker and tell him he has nothing to worry about that Microsoft don't care that he is hacking or selling hacked ilegal software, they are too busy trying to screw their handicapped customers out of their disabilty checks! Pathetic!

Wow... sorry to hear that dude. I know Microsoft's main focus are their corporate customers, as they make the majority of their money from businesses, but that's pretty sad. Their attitude towards non-corporate customers really needs to change. I hope it works out with eBay so you can at least get your money back.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

So paypal gets back to me and tells me that I "HAVE TO" send the item back to the seller, even though sending the item back consitutes software piracy. I had to send it back to the crminal and provide tracking numbers even though as I said the item is illegal hacked software? Makes no sense to me at all?

Anyway I go to the post office and to ship the thing to this loser ( in turkey) the cheapest way possible cost me $14.62 that "WILL NOT" be reimbursed to me? After I provided the tracking numbers in my case they get back to me and say "once the seller tells us he has received the item back" then and only then will they reimburse the purchase price ONLY! What person in their right mind who partakes in criminal activity will go out of their way and tell someone that they have received an illegal item back? This guy is no way in hell going to tell paypal that he got it back?

So now I'm thinking I'm not only screwed out of the original sale price but the money I paid to send the damn thing back to this loser? WTF kind of "BUYER PROTECTION" is that? ROfl, Ebay and Paypal are a complete joke now!

So I'm going to go out of my way to tell anyone who cares to listen to me how pathetic Ebay and Paypal have become. I mean I have had a payal account since the beginning, I'm one of the first 500 customers that opened an account with paypal, yet they go out of their way to make me feel like I'm the criminal here, not the loser who sent me hacked software! No wonder there is so much crap online for sale now?

Thru my experience I can honestly say that NO ONE should open or use a Paypal account, nor should they go on Ebay and buy anything from anyone. They cater to the seller and could care less about the buyer, simple as that. As soon as I get my refund I'm closing both my ebay and paypal account! Screw them!

I never created an eBay account for just this reason. Too many horror stories like yours where honest people get screwed trying to do the right thing.

Edit: That $300 copy of Windows that Microsoft mentioned when you phoned them was probably a retail copy. You don't have to buy those. You can get an OEM copy instead which is considerably cheaper, usually around half the price of a retail copy. The only relevant difference for you between OEM and retail, is that OEM can't be moved to another computer should you end up buying a new one in the future. This is usually a moot point anyway, since new computers from major retailers (I doubt you will be buying them from individuals over the web after this experience) come with a properly licensed copy of Windows anyway.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Once I get the refund from Paypal I will have three options:

1: I can go thru the genuine advanatge test then on to microsoft and pay $199.00, I will get an emailed registration key and then MS will send me a backup dvd and a paper that has the reg key number on it. Do i get anything else when buying this way?

2: I can go to newegg and pay like $175.00 and buy an oem version of ultimate

3: I can go to newegg or another online store and pay $275.00+ for the full retail version?

Right now # 3 is really far out of my reach.

What is the difference between #'s 1 & 2 other than the price? Are they both considerd OEM versions that don't come with any tech support or manual only the dvd and reg code?

The difference between #'s 2 & 3 other than the price are what? 2 comes with the Dvd and the card that has the reg code and nothing else, right? No support from MS?

#3 comes with 2 discs (32 & 64 bit), A Manual, COA, the reg code sticker and tech support, right? How long is the tech support?

When I build system for myself and others in the past I've always bought the OEM version of the software, I should probably do that again this time, right? Is buying the full retail version worth it?

Last comment on this whole thing (does not include replies to others) it sure would have been nice had Microsoft offered to do something for me with the price considering everything I've gone thru tryng to buy their software and then reporting the hacker, but I guess Bill gates needs the money more than people like I do, huh? lol

IMO, buying the retail version is not worth it, unless you know you are going to be upgrading your computer by buying parts and building the system yourself. If you're buying a prebuilt system from a retail shop, you don't have to bother with the retail version because you won't need to transfer the license to the new system. And unless you are planning to call Microsoft for support (there are many other resources available for free, like this forum), you don't need that part anyway. The free support either lasts for the first 90 days from the purchase date, or it's one incident per copy regardless of when you call, I can't remember which.

As newegg appears to be slightly cheaper, I would go with that option. You'll have a physical copy of the disk right away, plus the serial in printed form instead of via email (which if the spam filters catch it, may end up causing you more headaches)

With OEM, you also have to buy either the 32 or 64 bit version when you make the purchase. Retail has both disks in the same package. If your eBay purchase was 64 bit, buy a 64 bit copy from Newegg and then enter the serial number when you have it in hand. The system will then become genuine with no further action on your part. Same goes for 32 bit.

If you originally bought 32 bit, and want to move to 64, I remind you that your data must be backed up and the OS must be completely reinstalled from scratch, as there is no direct upgrade path between 32 and 64 bit Windows.

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Hey, you can get an upgrade disk which DOES have a full OS. Once you boot into your Windows 7 disk, you will have an option to format. Make sure you back up your documents and files that are going to be needed in the future. Then you can proceed to install Windows 7 using the upgrade disk. The upgrade disk and full OS are same thing.

OEM copies are cheaper than upgrade copies, and he already has Windows 7. An upgrade copy would be a waste of money, and he would have to reinstall 7 as well. With an OEM copy, he can simply change his serial number within Windows and the system will then be genuine. Trying to change the key in the same fashion using an upgrade key would fail.

Oh, and the OEM disk does have a "full OS" on it. The only part that is different is what you can do with your copy outside of the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.