Gladly the Cross I'd Bear

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

There are a million websites which claim that this is the first line of a
hymn often jokily mis-read as 'Gladly the Cross-eyed Bear'. I've even seen
it described as 'that great old hymn' etc but in fact I can find absolutely
no trace of the hymn itself.

Was it a real hymn? Can anyone tell me the words, or the tune? Or is it just
a joke title after all?

John

"John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> writes:

> There are a million websites which claim that this is the first line
> of a hymn often jokily mis-read as 'Gladly the Cross-eyed Bear'. I've
> even seen it described as 'that great old hymn' etc but in fact I can
> find absolutely no trace of the hymn itself.
>
> Was it a real hymn? Can anyone tell me the words, or the tune? Or is
> it just a joke title after all?

It's called Keep Thou My Way, it's "the cross I'll bear", and it's not
the first line.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/k/e/keepthou.htm

"Adventure came not from the half-starved, but from those who were
well fed enough to feel ambition"
-- William Beveridge