Laptop Higher freq ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I've been looking through a lot of laptops lately trying to figure out what i want, I noticed they all seem to run ddr3 1333mhz, if you swapped out that ram for 1600mhz would the average laptop handle it? is there a specific chipset/mobo that the laptop would need for higher speed ram?

D

Deleted member 217926

Laptops are generally pretty specific about RAM. If it uses DDR3 1333 then that would be all it would use.

There is very little real world difference between the two anyway. It would show up on benchmarks but you would not be able to tell in everyday applications.

Yeah, I'm not sure laptops can use faster RAM. The laptop may simply default to the specified RAM speed that the laptop uses, or the RAM may not even work.

At least on the desktop, it has been shown that using faster RAM for a Llano APU does improve the integrated graphics core's performance enough that it is noticeable.

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Essentially I want a laptop that can compile at almost the speed I'm used to on my PC but on the go, As it's main function will be a portable coding machine. I've been trying to find a laptop sporting an i7, but without a GPU because the IGP should be fine for what I'm doing though so far most laptops up the CPU and GPU linearly and therefore charge for the increased costs. I'd rather a quad-core with fast ram but not have to pay the extra for a GPU.

I'm considering the RAM compatibility because if possibly I would buy better RAM myself and swap it in, along with an SSD. Kinda the PC-DIY mentality towards a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.