Opinions on this laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Hello,
I have been looking at many laptops, but have been researching this one quite a lot, what do you guys think about it?
I will be using it for college,(i will be a computer science major) i will be doing programming, photo and video editing, and other average uses.
It is an HP DV6T quad edition

Color: dark umber
Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz
Graphics card: 1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7470M GDDR5 Discrete Graphics(TM) [HDMI, VGA]
Memory: FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive: 750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Primary battery: 50% OFF One 6 Cell and One 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Display: 15.6" High Definition HP LED Brightview (1366x768)
Primary optical drive: FREE UPGRADE to Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
Networking: 802.11b/g/n WLAN
Keyboard: Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad

Would you guys change/add anything?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this!!! :)

Solution
Most of my co-workers are using HP business class laptops or various ages and they're doing great.
A few years back HP consumer models had some issues but it's looking like they've fixed the most serious ones. We know a lot about stuff made years ago - the new stuff? Check back in a few years.

Seriously, all models in about the same price range should have reliability that's within a couple percentage points either way. Taking care of the laptop (not dropping it, spilling on it, having it stolen, etc) will go a long way toward helping your laptop (any model) make it to the top of the reliability curve.

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Would the Bluetooth really help me?
And about the hdd and the screen, I'm trying to keep the price down because I don't have a huge budget! Would I really benefit a lot from those features?

You can do without the full HD screen.

A Bluetooth networking option might be handy with MP3 players, wireless headset, wireless speakers, etc. I suppose you could say it's a luxury.

If the 7200rpm upgrade isn't a lot - it will help performance. But it's definitely not a requirement.

game junky

Distinguished

+1 - agree with the build WR2 suggests. I am not sure if that HP supports multiple HDD bays. If so, I would put the OS on a solid state and use the HDD as a storage drive for your media.

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Here are the edited specs:

Color: dark umber
Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz
Graphics card: 1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7470M GDDR5 Discrete Graphics(TM) [HDMI, VGA]
Memory: FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive: 750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Primary battery: 50% OFF One 6 Cell and One 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Display: 15.6" Full HD HP Anti-glare LED (1920 x 1080)
Primary optical drive: FREE UPGRADE to Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
Networking: Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
Keyboard: Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad

And yea i can see how the full hd will help, because i will be staring at the computer for a long time while programming.

so do you think this laptop has enough power for the tasks i will be doing?

It has more than enough power for the workload you mentioned.
Most of your classmates doing the same kind of work are going to be using dual core CPUs like the Core i5-2430M.

There is an added feature of the 1920x1080 LCD that you'll probably like. The anti-glare screen will cut down a lot of glare compared to the glossy screens. Sitting outdoors in the shade, near a window in the coffee shop or lecture hall, etc won't be a pain in the eyes.

Multi-tasking workloads - like working with MS Word, Powerpoint and a web browser or two will be a lot easier with that extra screen real-estate making you more productive.

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Another thing i wanted to know is how reliable are HP products?
Do you have any experience with HP laptops?

Sorry for all the questions, i appreciate all of your help!!

Most of my co-workers are using HP business class laptops or various ages and they're doing great.
A few years back HP consumer models had some issues but it's looking like they've fixed the most serious ones. We know a lot about stuff made years ago - the new stuff? Check back in a few years.

Seriously, all models in about the same price range should have reliability that's within a couple percentage points either way. Taking care of the laptop (not dropping it, spilling on it, having it stolen, etc) will go a long way toward helping your laptop (any model) make it to the top of the reliability curve.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.