Add/Remove Program

Ok on my add/remove program list there are a bunch of programs that say
Windows Xp Hotfix. What are these and can i uninstall them?

Thanks
John
2 answers Last reply
More about remove program

    "Johnny" <Johnny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok on my add/remove program list there are a bunch of programs that say
    > Windows Xp Hotfix. What are these and can i uninstall them?
    >
    > Thanks
    > John

    Those are simply the Hotfixes that were downloaded and installed to your
    system from Windows Updates. Whether they are critical, or security, or
    whatever, depends on how you download them. You probably have WU set to do
    this "all" automatically, which many times happens when you are unaware of
    it (e.g. away from your PC, while it is on). I would recommend having WU
    alert you to them, then you can choose what you wanted, and also read what
    they are about.

    Go to the Windows folder, and you'll see those hotfix folder with the name
    in "blue". You can delete them, as they are only there if you want to
    uninstall them. But if you feel you are OK, and are pressed for space,
    delete the ones with the same names as the ones in Add/Remove, then they
    will disappear from Add/Remove, and obviously, you will no longer be able to
    uninstall them.

    John,

    These Hotfix Add/Remove entries and the $Uninstall folders are created when
    you install a Microsoft Service Pack, a hotfix, or certain security updates.
    These folders contain the uninstall information for the update you install.
    That means, you will be unable to remove an update in future, if you delete
    these folders. You may leave them there unless you need hard drive space.
    Each Qxxxxxx represents an update from Microsoft. To know more about an
    update, type the URL in your browser:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=xxxxxx

    => Replace the xxxxxx with the actual numbers. Don't use the prefixes Q
    or KB

    To manually remove the hotfix entries from Add/Remove Programs, try this:

    Start Registry Editor and locate the following key:

    [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]

    Backup the key by exporting them to a .REG file.
    Look for the hotfix number in the sub-keys
    Delete the entire listing for the hotfix.
    Close the registry editor.
    By doing the above, only the Add/Remove entry is removed; the update will
    not be removed.

    Additional information
    In Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the user is able to choose whether to
    show or hide updates for Windows and other programs in this view. A new Show
    updates check box appears above the list, which enables the user to toggle
    between showing or hiding installed updates. For more information on this
    feature, see section Filtering out updates from the Change or Remove
    Programs list in article Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP
    Service Pack 2

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Johnny" <Johnny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok on my add/remove program list there are a bunch of programs that say
    > Windows Xp Hotfix. What are these and can i uninstall them?
    >
    > Thanks
    > John

Support Microsoft Windows XP