Adding New Hard Drives & Memory

Could someone please provide assistance with adding new hard drives.

I have recently purchased a Dell Dimension 8400 P4 3.2 system and wish
to make some of my own upgrades.

The units has 1GB of RAM, 1 x Maxtor 250GB Hard Driver, 1 x DVD ROM and
1 x DVD RW(16x).

I have breifly looked inside and what seems to be the HDD location has
1 drive installed with two bays remaining.

The case also seems to have a lot of wasted space, probably for
airflow.

My problem is I am not sure if there is a limit on the hard drive size,
the installed one seems extremely small to previous ones I have seen.

Also, the connector is not a ribbon, therefore I assume it is SATA and
not ATA, the DVD drives have ribbons.

What do I need to buy, i.e. another Maxtor, do I need power cables, and
how do I connect it all up, there seem to be an awful lot of wires in
there.

Please help

--
bedhead

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I am looking at buying the same machine...how is it working? Are you happy
with the system?
Any advice?

Karim

"bedhead" <bedhead.1iod7n@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message

> Could someone please provide assistance with adding new hard drives.
>
> I have recently purchased a Dell Dimension 8400 P4 3.2 system and wish
> to make some of my own upgrades.
>
> The units has 1GB of RAM, 1 x Maxtor 250GB Hard Driver, 1 x DVD ROM and
> 1 x DVD RW(16x).
>
> I have breifly looked inside and what seems to be the HDD location has
> 1 drive installed with two bays remaining.
>
> The case also seems to have a lot of wasted space, probably for
> airflow.
>
> My problem is I am not sure if there is a limit on the hard drive size,
> the installed one seems extremely small to previous ones I have seen.
>
> Also, the connector is not a ribbon, therefore I assume it is SATA and
> not ATA, the DVD drives have ribbons.
>
> What do I need to buy, i.e. another Maxtor, do I need power cables, and
> how do I connect it all up, there seem to be an awful lot of wires in
> there.
>
> Please help
>

> --
> bedhead

"bedhead" <bedhead.1iod7n@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message

| Could someone please provide assistance with adding new hard drives.
|
| I have recently purchased a Dell Dimension 8400 P4 3.2 system and wish
| to make some of my own upgrades.
|
| The units has 1GB of RAM, 1 x Maxtor 250GB Hard Driver, 1 x DVD ROM and
| 1 x DVD RW(16x).
|
| I have breifly looked inside and what seems to be the HDD location has
| 1 drive installed with two bays remaining.
|
| The case also seems to have a lot of wasted space, probably for
| airflow.
|
| My problem is I am not sure if there is a limit on the hard drive size,
| the installed one seems extremely small to previous ones I have seen.
|
| Also, the connector is not a ribbon, therefore I assume it is SATA and
| not ATA, the DVD drives have ribbons.
|
| What do I need to buy, i.e. another Maxtor, do I need power cables, and
| how do I connect it all up, there seem to be an awful lot of wires in
| there.
|
| Please help
|

| --
| bedhead

Your computer came with a manual on the harddrive in PDF format. (complete
with pictures :) Originally there was a shortcut to it on the desktop. The
file name on mine is W7026EN0.pdf. See page 95 "Installing a harddrive."

The same manual is available online @
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/index.htm

Buy a standard desktop (3.5") SATA harddrive. If you buy a boxed kit it will
come with a data cable. If you buy an "OEM" drive you'll need to purchase a
data cable. A spare set of drive rails are screwed to the side wall inside
the case.

I'm thinking about getting this one;
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-063&depa=1

Once installed use Windows XP's disk management to partition and format the
drive.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.