Sign in with
Your question

Where do i start (dual booting)

Last response: in Applications
May 17, 2003 12:14:46 PM

Hey, i'm looking for some advice on where to start when dual booting.

I was able to dual boot XP pro and mandrake together easily using linux's boot loader, grub i think it was. I was wondering if theirs a special windows boot loader i can use, or if i can just use grub for this as well. I wanted to dual boot windows 2000 server with XP pro.

Any links to some good souces of information on creating dual booting would be a help; i was hopeing to learn how dual booting software works, thanks heaps

More about : start dual booting

May 21, 2003 9:10:17 PM

The safest dual booting is if your CMOS setup allows you to select in your boot options, HD-0, HD-1, Etc. then you can use 2 hardrives say XP Pro on the Master of primary 1 partitioned for the full use of the drive and 2K on the second hardrive as slave to primary 1 with 2K partitioned for full use of that drive, then all you do is hit setup when its booting up if you want to change the bootdrive and select HD-0 to boot from the master or XP drive and HD-1 to boot from the slave or 2K drive. Then if worse comes to worse and say XP completely crashes, you just boot into the 2K and you're back in business without 1 problem possibly costing you everything.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
May 30, 2003 10:13:51 AM

Hi!

And yes, there is such a software for windows/linux namely: Bootmagic from Powerquestsoftware. It used to be (still is?) included with the famous Partitionmagic from the same company.

Check their website out for good articles/manulas (in PDF) for setting up/general info about Dualboot!
June 2, 2003 4:04:58 PM

You can also just install win2k in one partition and then install winXP in another partition. When installing winXP the installation will automatically install a boot loader.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies
!