hammer

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2001

My motherboard and soundcard went in a recent electrical storm. I had a new
motherboard (with on board sound) installed and also a new 120GB hard drive
installed. I have an existing 160GB hard drive which has XP and all my
files on it.

I reinstalled XP on the new 120GB hard drive (which is drive F:) and all my
old files are still on 160GB C:. I want the new drive to be the OS and
application drive.

When i boot, it boots from the new xp install on F: no problems.

I can't access the old files under My Documents on C: as it says access
denied - they were under my account on that drive. Any ideas how to get
these files
(without mucking around inside the physical box). If i delete everything on
the drive except for the directory i am after will it forget about security?

Also, is there anyway to make C: -> F: and F: -> C:. I prefer to have my
main hard drive as C: and it seems so does most software.

Thanks in advance.

You have to be logged in with administrator rights to access other users
MyDocuments.

Hammer wrote:
> My motherboard and soundcard went in a recent electrical storm. I had a new
> motherboard (with on board sound) installed and also a new 120GB hard drive
> installed. I have an existing 160GB hard drive which has XP and all my
> files on it.
>
> I reinstalled XP on the new 120GB hard drive (which is drive F:) and all my
> old files are still on 160GB C:. I want the new drive to be the OS and
> application drive.
>
> When i boot, it boots from the new xp install on F: no problems.
>
> I can't access the old files under My Documents on C: as it says access
> denied - they were under my account on that drive. Any ideas how to get
> these files
> (without mucking around inside the physical box). If i delete everything on
> the drive except for the directory i am after will it forget about security?

The username that you use to login is simply a convenience for us
carbon-based life forms. It's meaningless to the OS. The operating
system uses the SID (security identifier) to identify users and control
their permissions. Each SID is unique, regardless of the username
attached to it. As far as the OS is concerned, you're most definitely
_not_ the same person who created those data files; ergo, you shouldn't
blindly be granted access to them. You'll need to re-create your
privileges to the files by taking "ownership" of them.

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

> Also, is there anyway to make C: -> F: and F: -> C:. I prefer to have my
> main hard drive as C: and it seems so does most software.

Not without reinstalling the OS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

hammer

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2001

> Hammer wrote:
>> My motherboard and soundcard went in a recent electrical storm. I had a
>> new
>> motherboard (with on board sound) installed and also a new 120GB hard
>> drive
>> installed. I have an existing 160GB hard drive which has XP and all my
>> files on it.
>>
>> I reinstalled XP on the new 120GB hard drive (which is drive F:) and all
>> my
>> old files are still on 160GB C:. I want the new drive to be the OS and
>> application drive.
>>
>> When i boot, it boots from the new xp install on F: no problems.
>>
>> I can't access the old files under My Documents on C: as it says access
>> denied - they were under my account on that drive. Any ideas how to get
>> these files
>> (without mucking around inside the physical box). If i delete everything
>> on the drive except for the directory i am after will it forget about
>> security?
>>

> The username that you use to login is simply a convenience for us
> carbon-based life forms. It's meaningless to the OS. The operating
> system uses the SID (security identifier) to identify users and control
> their permissions. Each SID is unique, regardless of the username
> attached to it. As far as the OS is concerned, you're most definitely
> _not_ the same person who created those data files; ergo, you shouldn't
> blindly be granted access to them. You'll need to re-create your
> privileges to the files by taking "ownership" of them.
>
> HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421
>

>> Also, is there anyway to make C: -> F: and F: -> C:. I prefer to have
>> my main hard drive as C: and it seems so does most software.
>>

> Not without reinstalling the OS.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Thanks Bruce. Worked a treat. I also fixed the other problem by
reinstalling xp.

Hammer wrote:

> Thanks Bruce. Worked a treat. I also fixed the other problem by
> reinstalling xp.

You're welcome.

--

Bruce Chambers