ianm

hello, i have a problem that sometimes occurs on my windows XP home PC.
Sometimes, rarely, if I click on the Start button the menu appears as normal
but all sub-menus cannot be built and the PC beeps. One of my quicklaunch
icons also changes to a default windows icon. A reboot fixes the problem.
Anybody know how to cure this?

Thanks

Ian

Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"IanM" <i_m_@j_v_f_.co.uk> wrote in message news:uzCjlp6KFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> hello, i have a problem that sometimes occurs on my windows XP home PC. Sometimes, rarely, if I click on the Start button the menu
> appears as normal but all sub-menus cannot be built and the PC beeps. One of my quicklaunch icons also changes to a default
> windows icon. A reboot fixes the problem. Anybody know how to cure this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

ianm

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the
> command : CHKDSK /R
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "IanM" <i_m_@j_v_f_.co.uk> wrote in message
>> hello, i have a problem that sometimes occurs on my windows XP home PC.
>> Sometimes, rarely, if I click on the Start button the menu appears as
>> normal but all sub-menus cannot be built and the PC beeps. One of my
>> quicklaunch icons also changes to a default windows icon. A reboot fixes
>> the problem. Anybody know how to cure this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ian

Hi Mark,

I am intrigued to know why you think that would work? Are you under the
impression my hard disk is corrupted?

Ian

you will have to try it to know that

--

> you will have to try it to know that
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "IanM" <i_m_@j_v_f_.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the
>>> command : CHKDSK /R
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>>> marfers notes for windows xp
>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>>> .
>>> "IanM" <i_m_@j_v_f_.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> I am intrigued to know why you think that would work? Are you under the
>> impression my hard disk is corrupted?
>>
>> Ian

I will try it, I just dont see how a reboot clears the problem