XP start menu problem

hello, i have a problem that sometimes occurs on my windows XP home PC.
Sometimes, rarely, if I click on the Start button the menu appears as normal
but all sub-menus cannot be built and the PC beeps. One of my quicklaunch
icons also changes to a default windows icon. A reboot fixes the problem.
Anybody know how to cure this?

Thanks

Ian
4 answers Last reply
More about start menu problem

    Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509

    "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the
    > command : CHKDSK /R
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > marfers notes for windows xp
    > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    > .
    > "IanM" <i_m_@j_v_f_.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> hello, i have a problem that sometimes occurs on my windows XP home PC.
    >> Sometimes, rarely, if I click on the Start button the menu appears as
    >> normal but all sub-menus cannot be built and the PC beeps. One of my
    >> quicklaunch icons also changes to a default windows icon. A reboot fixes
    >> the problem. Anybody know how to cure this?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Ian

    Hi Mark,

    I am intrigued to know why you think that would work? Are you under the
    impression my hard disk is corrupted?

    Ian

    you will have to try it to know that

    --

    > you will have to try it to know that
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > marfers notes for windows xp
    > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    > .
    > "IanM" <i_m_@j_v_f_.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the
    >>> command : CHKDSK /R
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    >>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >>> marfers notes for windows xp
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >>> .
    >>> "IanM" <i_m_@j_v_f_.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> Hi Mark,
    >>
    >> I am intrigued to know why you think that would work? Are you under the
    >> impression my hard disk is corrupted?
    >>
    >> Ian

    I will try it, I just dont see how a reboot clears the problem

Start Menu Windows XP