L400 problems

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Got an old L400 but for some reason it wont let me swao the boot orser in
the BIOS I can select boot order from F12 at Dell splash screen but not
physically change it in the BIOS just says that it cant be changed in user
mode and to see the system administrator, there are no passwords set so I'm
a little flumuxed

Two possibilities come to mind.

1. I would reset all the BIOS CMOS settings to their defaults. There are very
few things that will not work right with the defaults. The one that most often
has to be changed is the parallel port setting to ECP, to work with more modern
bi-directional printers, mostly inkjet.

2. I would also look for a BIOS update on the Dell web site. This may alleviate
a known problem which you have encountered... Ben Myers

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:03:33 -0000, "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Got an old L400 but for some reason it wont let me swao the boot orser in
>the BIOS I can select boot order from F12 at Dell splash screen but not
>physically change it in the BIOS just says that it cant be changed in user
>mode and to see the system administrator, there are no passwords set so I'm
>a little flumuxed

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Thanks Ben the latter worked a treat, certainly the 1st time I'd ever seen
it though I must say