How do I get rid of the front login screen?

When I turn on the PC... I have to type in my password.
I'm the only one using my PC at home, so I don't need this.
Can someone tell me how I can get rid of it and hav my PC boot straight
into the operating system?

Thanks.

OM

Hi OM,

Go into the Control Panel and double click on User Accounts and then click
on change the way users log on and off. Uncheck "Use Fast User Switching"
and click on apply changes.

Newtechie

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> When I turn on the PC... I have to type in my password.
> I'm the only one using my PC at home, so I don't need this.
> Can someone tell me how I can get rid of it and hav my PC boot straight
> into the operating system?
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 06:58:54 -0600, "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Hi OM,
>
>Go into the Control Panel and double click on User Accounts and then click
>on change the way users log on and off. Uncheck "Use Fast User Switching"
>and click on apply changes.
>
>Newtechie

I couldn't get this to work for SP2.

Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select the
user account from the list (to which account you want to automatically
logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password and complete
the process.

For Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login as the built-in Administrator,
as you'll receive a restrictions error.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> When I turn on the PC... I have to type in my password.
> I'm the only one using my PC at home, so I don't need this.
> Can someone tell me how I can get rid of it and hav my PC boot straight
> into the operating system?
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

That step just turns off Fast User Switching. See my post in this thread, to
learn how to automatically logon to an user account.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 06:58:54 -0600, "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi OM,
>>
>>Go into the Control Panel and double click on User Accounts and then click
>>on change the way users log on and off. Uncheck "Use Fast User Switching"
>>and click on apply changes.
>>
>>Newtechie
>>

> I couldn't get this to work for SP2.

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:02:12 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>That step just turns off Fast User Switching. See my post in this thread, to
>learn how to automatically logon to an user account.

All I found was your post of 2/23:

Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type control
userpasswords2, and then click OK. In the dialog box that appears,
enable Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer
check box, and then click OK.

I unchecked that box and it did not help.

TX

Simply unchecking the box won't help. You need to input the username and the
credentials so that XP stores them in the registry. That info will then be
used by Windows to automatically login at startup.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm

--

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> For Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login
> as the built-in Administrator, as you'll receive
> a restrictions error.

I believe that occurs only if one enters a password. If the password field
is left blank, all will work as expected. It certainly has in my case
anyway.

Stewart

Stewart,

When there is only one user account with no password, XP automatically logs
on to that account. But, if one installs the .NET Framework, it adds a
hidden user account named ASP.NET and automatic logon is not possible.
Secondly, using a user account password is recommended.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Dwight Stewart" <stewartx@NOearthlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>>
>> For Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login
>> as the built-in Administrator, as you'll receive
>> a restrictions error.
>

> I believe that occurs only if one enters a password. If the password
> field is left blank, all will work as expected. It certainly has in my
> case anyway.
>
> Stewart

And.. Userpasswords2 method works in both cases.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User