Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Got my 3D glasses today...

At first I thought they weren't working, but they have to 'get up to speed'
or something first (why ?)

Anyway, I tested the 3 games -

Narrow Escape 3D - not so good (unless you want a seizure)

Crazy Coaster - good

3D MineStorm - WOW ! - it's worth getting them just for this game - the 3D
effect is REALLY amazing. It just goes to show the potential for new games
using Kev's adaptor.

It's a great piece of kit :)

Richard H.

Richard Hutchinson wrote:
> At first I thought they weren't working, but they have to 'get up to speed'
> or something first (why ?)

I'm sure Kev could tell you why he made them do that, but I assume it is
just part of the "emulation", which is a good idea to support full
compatability.

The motor and drive circuit in the original can only spin up the motor
so fast.(actually rather slowly) The game program is expecting to see
this, and to see the sync pulses come back in increasing speed. To be
completely fair, there is not a set correct speed for them to adjust to,
the speed is entirely up to the game program. In emulating, Kev has to
keep speeding up the rate as long as the pulse wide modulation from the
vec is high. When it slows down, Kev has to maintain current speed, and
if it slows down too much, he may even have to slow the speed down.

Mark

kev

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Mark De Smet <nospammdesmet@earthlink.net> wrote in

> Richard Hutchinson wrote:
>> At first I thought they weren't working, but they have to 'get up to
>> speed' or something first (why ?)
>
> I'm sure Kev could tell you why he made them do that, but I assume it
> is just part of the "emulation", which is a good idea to support full
> compatability.

<snip very good description>

This is exactly the reasoning behind it. If it didn't do this, the games
wouldn't work properly.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

> Anyway, I tested the 3 games -
>
> Narrow Escape 3D - not so good (unless you want a seizure)
>
> Crazy Coaster - good
>
> 3D MineStorm - WOW ! - it's worth getting them just for this game - the 3D
> effect is REALLY amazing. It just goes to show the potential for new games
> using Kev's adaptor.

The 3D effect didn't work for me on Narrow Escape, Crazy Coaster or
the Rocket Sledge demo. There are some timing issues with these.
Might it be because these games use a separate color wheel? (I donno
... both color wheels have 1/2 area blackout.)

It did work really well on MineStorm 3D. Those spinning mines are
really really really really really cool! And the background mines
only come forward when the foreground mines are destroyed.

Congratulations and thanks to Kevin for a nice piece of hardware! But
because of the limited enjoyment of the other games, I suggest getting
this 3D kit setup only if you love MineStorm.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

kev

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

solder_guy@bigmailbox.net (solder_doc) wrote in

> Congratulations and thanks to Kevin for a nice piece of hardware! But
> because of the limited enjoyment of the other games, I suggest getting
> this 3D kit setup only if you love MineStorm.

You should put a solid colour overlay on the Vec. That should "fix" the
3D effect. Ocelot had a great post about this. Part is reproduced
below:

I can make two suggestions to alleviate this problem with Kev's
adapter:

1) Sit as far away from the Vectrex screen as you comfortably can.
The longer focal distance will help your eyes lock onto the images and
resolve them as being '3D'. Basically your eyes have to move less
(and thus strain less) to accomodate the dual images, which is the
same suggestion they give people who have difficulty viewing the
'Seeing Eye'-type puzzles.

2) Put a solid colour overlay on the screen, preferably into the lower
(red-orange) end of the spectrum. I'm not entirely sure why this
works, but I suspect it has to do with the way human colour vision
works. Your eyes are about 100x more sensitive to B&W images than
colour (which is why you only have limied B&W vision in the dark or
moonlight), so your eyes will tend to focus on B&W vectors and the 3D
effect is lost when there are conflicting ghost images. Adding the
overlay allows your eyes/brain to ignore the extraneous infomration
and concentrate on the images they're supposed to.

Narrow Escape may be more of a problem for ghosting becuase it's
virtual 3D realm is far 'deeper' into the vectrex screen than the
other two games, meaning that the dual images have to be more
horizontally separated (and more work for your eyes to resolve it into
a single image). Unfortunately NE has the same problem on the real
imager. :-(