Corrupted MBR

March 18, 2005 4:34:21 PM

Hello

I installed version 3.04 of Restore It on my Windows XP Home edition with
SP1. It didn't work correctly so I uninstalled from Add/Remove programs.

It uninstalled ok seemingly from Windows but when I boot up still see the
Restore It program running then I just see a flashing cursor. So Restore It
has well and truly ****'d up my computer.

I did not create the Resotre It floppy recovery disk. Also, I cannot log
onto the recovery console on this machine. When I attmept to I am asked to
supply a password to log onto eg C:\Windows but whatever I type doesn't
work. Even though I know correct password.

So I can boot the machine up now using a boot floppy containing ntldr,
ntdetect.com and boot.ini. But how can I restore my master boot record?
Please don't tell me to fdisk, reformat and start again!

Angus comber
angus@NOSPAMiteloffice.com

More about : corrupted mbr

March 18, 2005 4:34:22 PM

"Angus Comber" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I installed version 3.04 of Restore It on my Windows XP Home edition with
> SP1. It didn't work correctly so I uninstalled from Add/Remove programs.
>
> It uninstalled ok seemingly from Windows but when I boot up still see the
> Restore It program running then I just see a flashing cursor. So Restore It
> has well and truly ****'d up my computer.
>
> I did not create the Resotre It floppy recovery disk. Also, I cannot log
> onto the recovery console on this machine. When I attmept to I am asked to
> supply a password to log onto eg C:\Windows but whatever I type doesn't
> work. Even though I know correct password.
>
> So I can boot the machine up now using a boot floppy containing ntldr,
> ntdetect.com and boot.ini. But how can I restore my master boot record?
> Please don't tell me to fdisk, reformat and start again!
>
> Angus comber
> angus@NOSPAMiteloffice.com

If you can boot open regedit and change the dword value of the string listed
below.
This will allow you to get into the recovery console without entering a
password.

From: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#30
Item #21

Fix For Correct Password Not Accepted Bug
1. Install Recovery Console.
To do so, open a command box in Win XP:
(select Start | Run, then type cmd); then, at the command prompt,
type D:\i386\winnt32.exe/cmdcons (replace D: with the letter for your CD
drive).
The installation will proceed, after which you can choose the Recovery Console
from the Windows boot screen.

(The Bug)

There is a bug in WinXP which prevents you from using Recovery Console
even though the right password is typed when prompted....
So, here's the trick.
2. Enable Administrator to Log On Automatically in Recovery Console
3. Reboot into WinXP.
4. Select Start | Run, then type regedit Go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup
\RecoveryConsole Change the SecurityLevel DWORD value data to 1.
5. Reboot the PC
!