Glaring Contradiction?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
I honestly am not trying to start anything here. But if the 9800 pro 256MB is truly not much of any better than the 128MB version then why is it that nearly every store is sold out of the 256MB versions? (except of course for a few stores that have the powercolr and sapphire brands... ugh.)
I mean just about every website I've been to shows the test results are often less than 1-3 FPS difference. So what gives?

cleeve

Illustrious
The reasons:

1. Buyers are uninformed and gullible. 256 sounds WAYY better than 128.

2. They probably made alot more 128 meg cards than 256 meg cards.

256 megs is only useful in games with a ton of textures (i.e. half life 2) or if you want to play with antialiassing at high resolutions.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
True, True.
Well I'm gettin one of em. and if the 128 does just as well as the 256 in both doom3 and hl2 then hell i might as well save the 100 bucks. to my broke assz thats like a friggin fortune. could get me 512 megs of ram or a new hard drive or somethin.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
That's a good idea.I'm thinking of upgrading to a 9800 pro myself.I'm gonna wait for the 9800XT to come out on the 30th September (IIRC) to see what the price drops to though.Maybe if you wait til then you can get the memory and a hard drive! :smile:

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

Ditto what Cleeve said :wink: .

AND,

Also it is highly likely that the actual STORES ordered less of them (usually account for stock on shelves) due to their large price tag (sticker shock). I'm sure wherever it is you shop will be more than happy to ORDER one for you, but they don't want it in inventory for a long time just to have to mark it down.

I think it's a combination of all those factors.
Definitely the first two if the shortage is also appearing at e-tailers.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: