Win 7 32 vs 64 bit?

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
When I first built my rig back in April I opted for the 32bit version as I wasn't sure how much support there was for 64bit. Now I'm kind of wondering how much better 64bit is compared to 32bit in terms of gaming which is the primary use of my pc. Is it worth it to switch? Does 64bit matter in terms of gaming? Will I see any improvements over 32bit?

Solution
i5-750 @ 3.5Ghz has a lotta Oomph!
For a gaming PC you're perfectly fine with Win7 32bit.

For you the big issue might be that you'll need to do a clean install and reload the OS and all your programs.
You can't do a in-place upgrade from 32bit to 64bit.

For that reason you're probably better off sticking with 32bit till it's time to do a clean install just to keep your system light on it's feet (something I do about every 18months or so).

64 bit gives Windows access to more than 3GB of memory, I have 6GB.

All applications I have run fine under WIndows 7, if the program supports WIndows 7. Only 1 will not run in WIndows 7, and the software company is aware of it, and refunded my money.

Your rig supports 64-bit? I mean is 64-bit?

Bartendalot

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
If you have or plan to use more than 3GB RAM then 64 is the way to go (32bit will not recognize over 3GB).

As far as gaming, 64 bit seems to use a bit more resources so make sure your rig has some umph...

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

Not sure what you mean by umph but here are my specs:

i5 750 currently at 3.5
asus p7p55d pro
4gb g skill ripjaw 1600 RAM
xfx 5770 xfired
600w antec psu
500 gb seagate hdd

i5-750 @ 3.5Ghz has a lotta Oomph!
For a gaming PC you're perfectly fine with Win7 32bit.

For you the big issue might be that you'll need to do a clean install and reload the OS and all your programs.
You can't do a in-place upgrade from 32bit to 64bit.

For that reason you're probably better off sticking with 32bit till it's time to do a clean install just to keep your system light on it's feet (something I do about every 18months or so).

Solution

windows7guy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hello thestrangebrew,

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.
Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP
I hope that helps you out!
You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support