WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY A GEFORCE FX?

dhlucke

Polypheme
There are mountains of evidence now showing the GeForceFX cards to be the worst cards you can buy for dx9 games. Even for dx8 games they aren't worth it.

WHY WOULD YOU STILL BUY ONE?

The FX series is HORRIBLE!

Are you people just trolling? How can anyone blow their hard earned cash on Nvidia right now?

cleeve

Illustrious
Buying a GeforceFX is utter madness.

The Volari and Deltachrome are clearly the choice of the next generation of powergamers...

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

fragglefart

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Bought mine (5900Ultra) after the DX8 benchies, before all this DX9 madness, about 2 months ago.

Big mistake!
I mean its a good card.. but the 9800Pro woulda been a far better choice. Thats the beauty of retrospect, however.

Ah well. Next card.... ATI!

Render times? You'll find me down the pub...

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
3dfx lovers might treasure the "FX" badge that their old Voodoo cards used to carry.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Ragtop_Racer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2003
It's pretty obvious from the data presented here and other sites that Nvidia has absolutely no business ethics, morals, or anything of the like.

I have been buying Nvidia since the NV1 came out--but my most recent purchase was an ATI card (8500 AIW), and I'm never going back. From ignoring user settings about vertical sync, low driver quality, image quality problems, and flat out lying, Nvidia really sucks as a company.

Oh yea, I'm never buying Nvidia stock again either.

soundwave5

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
The funny thing is before this whole thing over HL2 broke out I upgraded my old GF4 MX 420 to a Radeon 9600 Pro. Guess I made the right decision especially since I was giving the FX5600 ultra a long hard look.

Soundwave

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
cause my room is F***ing freezing right now and it can warm the room for me

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehe nice one...
but you could have just got an AMD and overclocked it... or maybe get a 100W prescott when they come out.

Seriously though, who believes Nvidia anymore when they claimed it was "bugs" cauzing the quality degredation that just magically improved the performance almost 100%?

Just remember that Nvidia was renound for their quality drivers, and the team that supplied them were world class.

They tried the reduced quality trick, and it worked for a while, until some eagle eyed techhies did a detailed investigation and caught them out.
It doesnt work now.

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

c0d1f1ed

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
NVidia -might- still be the better choice for OpenGL if you use their specific extensions? I know some developers prefer that. Much of the FX's functionality is not exposed well in DirectX, but with OpenGL they can create their own extensions that works better with their architecture.

Anyway, just ordered a Radeon 9600 Pro...

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I'm interested in seeing benchmarks, IQ testing, and pricing of the Volari V3, V5, V8 cards. I can't wait untiol Anand or Tom gets their hands on these babies! w00t!

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

I don't know UFO (hey rhymes :eek: ), the <A HREF="http://www.tech-report.com/onearticle.x/5667" target="_new">DeltaChrome 'Preview'</A> is at The Tech Report. And the Xabre based Volari is even less impressive IMO.

I wouldn't expect much from the Volari either. Interesting and it may rock in some areas but preliminary figures put it in the R9600Pro range.

I think the FX will dominate the Workstation market (in it's Quadro form) for a while, and likely still do well with those impressed by specs and slight of hand. But the NV40 will likely be the ONLY GPU enthusiasts purchase. I wouldn't bank on the Quadro line for too long though, the FireGLs are getting better despite the fact that they still fall a bit short (T2 is kinda best 'value' though). However that could change too. We shall see.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
The XGI webpage claims to be targetting the High-end enthusiasts market segment. I hope it works out though. if it doens't work out for XGI, I guess there will always be plenty of good 'ol R420 vs. NV40.

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Several reasons:

1) They had good experience with previous nVidia cards and don't keep up on the current information.
2) They had a bad experience with ati in the past and figure a working card is much better than a piece of trash that wont even run the games since the old ati drivers were such extreme crap.
3) They go by the recommendation of the person in the store.

Shadus

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
4)They beleive things will get better...

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6940439" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1228088" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

You don't buy an FX beleiving things will get better. You buy the next-gen card when they DO get better. Anything else is a aste of money, the architecture isn't there right now, drivers won't solve that.

I wouldn't be surprised if they change the name of their top line after the failure of the FX. But then again they may thik no one will remember the 'lean' years.

We shall see, but I do agree with most of what Shadus says, and I think the cause of that is usually not enough research/info.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Nah, Nvidia uses MORE OpenGL vendor specific extensions. That doesn't equal better performance unless the games can actually use them or are programmed to recognize and use them. If it just goes with basic OpenGL settings...standard ones...then ATI once again out performs Nvidia. If you goto vendor specific extensions...it's about even. In fact, we've discussed this during the last month in detail...do a search for the string.

-------------------------------------
Nvidia's marketing tip: <font color=blue>The victor will never be asked if he told the truth. </font color=blue>
<font color=red>Adolf Hitler</font color=red>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Keep on beLIEving spud!
All the while everyone who has a better eye for quality product than you is using a radeon, you have a geforce deFX.

God I'm so witty. :tongue:

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Radeon 9800NP, Audigy, Z560s, MX500