CD Drive locked out

March 18, 2005 11:00:00 AM

I can not read or explore my Drive E: CD drive with explorer. I get "access
denied. See administrator" That's me. I can read the drive using 3rd party
programs, but not explorer. Auto run works and music CD's play. I've looked
everywhere to see if there are special security and sharing settings for
this drive, but cann't find a thing.

More about : drive locked

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:50:58 AM

The drivers for it, (slightly not compatible with XP security) were probably installed by the default account, named "Administrator"
(available from Safe Mode only, in Home edition) The default security setting for XP object creation is 'owner object", rather than
'admin group'. I suggest removing the drivers, and installing them again with your ID as the logged on account.
Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the CD device, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the device
drivers again automatically.

If no help, rightclick the drive icon, and "Security tab, Permissions button, to use the 'find names' button to add your account.
--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"John Sheppard" <sheppardbear@msn.com> wrote in message news:uyH%23IO9KFHA.732@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I can not read or explore my Drive E: CD drive with explorer. I get "access denied. See administrator" That's me. I can read the
>drive using 3rd party programs, but not explorer. Auto run works and music CD's play. I've looked everywhere to see if there are
>special security and sharing settings for this drive, but cann't find a thing.

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:08:56 PM

I don't have a "security tab" ?? I used to, but not any more....
news:o wK1unHLFHA.2824@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!