I tried to run disk defrag, and I got an error saying chkdsk is scheduled to
run on volume C:, then it said to run chkdsk /f...I ran chkdsk /f and it
says the utility needs exclusive access, and to restart...

On restart it starts to run it, but then it says, cannot open volume for
direct access...

I went to the knowledge base and it said to download SP2...I downloaded SP2,
and that didn't do anything...

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

I have the same issue with XP Pro. I ran chkdsk once and it indicated that
it needed exclusive access to some files and will run on the next reboot.
Now everytime I reboot it indicates that it cannot open the volume. I went
to the recovery console and ran chkdsk /R and it seemed to repair errors, but
it still comes up with this error everytime I reboot: "CANNOT OPEN VOLUME FOR
DIRECT ACCESS".
Anyone have any suggestions?

"The Baba" wrote:

> I tried to run disk defrag, and I got an error saying chkdsk is scheduled to
> run on volume C:, then it said to run chkdsk /f...I ran chkdsk /f and it
> says the utility needs exclusive access, and to restart...
>
> On restart it starts to run it, but then it says, cannot open volume for
> direct access...
>
> I went to the knowledge base and it said to download SP2...I downloaded SP2,
> and that didn't do anything...
>
> Can anyone help me out here?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
> When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Baba, upon more surfing this board I found this and it worked for me:
Try going to start/run, type:cmd - In cmd command line, type:chkntfs /X D:
D: being the hd it keeps checking, then type: EXIT Restart the computer.

this seemed to fix my problem. Good Luck!

"The Baba" wrote:

> I tried to run disk defrag, and I got an error saying chkdsk is scheduled to
> run on volume C:, then it said to run chkdsk /f...I ran chkdsk /f and it
> says the utility needs exclusive access, and to restart...
>
> On restart it starts to run it, but then it says, cannot open volume for
> direct access...
>
> I went to the knowledge base and it said to download SP2...I downloaded SP2,
> and that didn't do anything...
>
> Can anyone help me out here?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

MrC says:
>>Baba, upon more surfing this board I found this and it worked for me:>>

I'll try it as soon as I put together the machine I'm working on...Thanks

--
Send women out to war, they're used to the sight of blood.