Installed xp pro over current directory problem

While trying to "clean up" some files on my hard drive, I must have deleted
something I should not have. On a reboot I got all kinds of symbols in
place of text, problems running anything, etc. So after trying frantically
to do a repair (to no avail, as I had forgotten administrator password), I
did a fresh install into the same directory.

Now on boot up, I am asked which one to start! It is showing 2 Windows XP
Professional options, if I click the top one (or let it time out and select
it by default) it starts the new install. If I select the bottom one it
boots up the previous install with all the garbled text.

Is there a way to delete this previous installation?

Thanks in advance.

You might want to take a look here:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

--