VecFlash casing

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Problem - I've run out of cases and Mark hasn't got any either (waiting
since February)

So, for the time being, VF production has stopped :(

Richard H.

ocelot

"Richard Hutchinson" <richard.hutchinson@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<40cfe834$0$25326$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>...
> Problem - I've run out of cases and Mark hasn't got any either (waiting
> since February)
>
> So, for the time being, VF production has stopped :(

Ack, wasn't I predicting this like a month ago? :-(

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

>Problem - I've run out of cases and Mark hasn't got any either (waiting
>since February)
>
>So, for the time being, VF production has stopped :(

Thanks Sean!

George

Richard Hutchinson wrote:

> Problem - I've run out of cases and Mark hasn't got any either (waiting
> since February)
>
> So, for the time being, VF production has stopped :(

Darn, just when I was about to ask...

...I'll ask anyhoo: is the flasher software available for anything but
Windows boxen? Or is the source code available perhaps?

I've just picked up my first Vectrex (woohoo!), and would love to play
with one of those neat carts :). The thing is, I'm pretty much an Amiga
guy (although there's my family's old iMac too); that rules out many
options, I suppose.
--
// }{idehiko ()gata "I hope I didn't hurt you too much
\X/ Amiga since '86 when I killed you..." - Elmer Fudd

bekkoame is a classic Japanese candybar.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

>is the flasher software available for anything but Windows ?

No

>Or is the source code available perhaps?

I could give you the control protocols if you want to write a driver for
another platform

Richard H.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

"Hidehiko Ogata" <hog@aqu.candybar.ne.jp> schreef in bericht

> Darn, just when I was about to ask...
>
> ..I'll ask anyhoo: is the flasher software available for anything but
> Windows boxen? Or is the source code available perhaps?
>
> I've just picked up my first Vectrex (woohoo!), and would love to play
> with one of those neat carts :). The thing is, I'm pretty much an Amiga
> guy (although there's my family's old iMac too); that rules out many
> options, I suppose.

Hey nice, another Amiga fan :^) I have an Amiga 4000/PPC/CVPPC, though I
haven't been using it very much lately. I'm the author of the graphics tool
Candy Factory, you might have heard of it.

A thought just occured to me, if there really aren't any casings available
anymore, you might give people the option to just buy the electronics
without the casing (and possibly a loose lable) so they can source a
cheap/defective Vectrex cart and use it's shell for it. Not great, but
better than not being able to get a Vecflash at all.

---

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

>you might give people the option to just buy the electronics
>without the casing (and possibly a loose label) so they can source a
>cheap/defective Vectrex cart and use it's shell for it. Not great, but
>better than not being able to get a Vecflash at all.

Don't really like that option as I want to produce a 'finished' item.
Also, the case needs modding quite a bit for the PCB to fit (accurate
drilling + sanding inside etc).

Richard H.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

"Richard Hutchinson" <richard.hutchinson@dsl.pipex.com> schreef in bericht
> >you might give people the option to just buy the electronics
> >without the casing (and possibly a loose label) so they can source a
> >cheap/defective Vectrex cart and use it's shell for it. Not great, but
> >better than not being able to get a Vecflash at all.
>
> Don't really like that option as I want to produce a 'finished' item.
> Also, the case needs modding quite a bit for the PCB to fit (accurate
> drilling + sanding inside etc).

Ah, okay, I understand, with the connector hole at the right place and
everything. Forget that idea then.

---

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Does that also rule out the possibility of making them with modified
Intellevision cartridge cases? Just curious...

Thanks,

Jason Halliday

"Milan Pollé" <ln.bewfmt.lausivitra@nalim.nl> wrote in message

> "Richard Hutchinson" <richard.hutchinson@dsl.pipex.com> schreef in bericht
> > >you might give people the option to just buy the electronics
> > >without the casing (and possibly a loose label) so they can source a
> > >cheap/defective Vectrex cart and use it's shell for it. Not great, but
> > >better than not being able to get a Vecflash at all.
> >
> > Don't really like that option as I want to produce a 'finished' item.
> > Also, the case needs modding quite a bit for the PCB to fit (accurate
> > drilling + sanding inside etc).
>
> Ah, okay, I understand, with the connector hole at the right place and
> everything. Forget that idea then.
>

> ---

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

>Does that also rule out the possibility of making them with modified
>Intellevision cartridge cases?

Yes, there's no way it'd fit in one

Richard H.

Richard Hutchinson wrote:

> >Or is the source code available perhaps?
>
> I could give you the control protocols if you want to write a driver for
> another platform

Thanks, that would be great :). Please notify this ng when the
production resumes then.

How is it connected to the computer BTW? RS232C (hopefully)? USB?
Something else?
--
// }{idehiko ()gata "I hope I didn't hurt you too much
\X/ Amiga since '86 when I killed you..." - Elmer Fudd

bekkoame is a classic Japanese candybar.

kev

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

"Richard Hutchinson" <richard.hutchinson@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in

> Problem - I've run out of cases and Mark hasn't got any either (waiting
> since February)

I've been talking to some people and I think it may be possible for me to
get cases made. I have a line on a company that may be able to do it. The
thing is I would need to make like 500-1000 to justify the tooling costs...
which will be around $2000 or so. cases would be cheap to make, but I'd
have to roll tool costs into the first 500-1K pieces made. I doubt I could
compete with Sean directly on price (at least at first) since he already
paid for the tooling.

Any interest?

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

>>How is it connected to the computer BTW? RS232C (hopefully)? USB?<<

RS232C 9 pin serial port! Only pins 2, 3 and 5 are actually used.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Maybe you could get the die from Sean ..

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

"Kev" <no@spamplz.kthx> wrote in message
> "Richard Hutchinson" <richard.hutchinson@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in
[...]
> Any interest?

Hey Kev,

I have an email I'd like to send you regarding the cases. Drop me a note to
the address in the reply-to for this post if you get a second.

Thanks,
-Clay

Milan Pollé wrote:

> Hey nice, another Amiga fan :^) I have an Amiga 4000/PPC/CVPPC, though I
> haven't been using it very much lately.

Yoohoo! It's always nice to meet fellow Amigans :).

> I'm the author of the graphics tool
> Candy Factory, you might have heard of it.

Mmm, sadly not... I'm now inclined to try it out though ;).

I've always wondered if the vector list technology inspired Jay Miner...
who knows, Vectrex might be a cousin of great-great-grandpa of Ami!

--
// }{idehiko ()gata "I hope I didn't hurt you too much
\X/ Amiga since '86 when I killed you..." - Elmer Fudd

bekkoame is a classic Japanese candybar.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Good luck getting more cases. The Vec Flash is amazing. I am also an old
Amiga user. Unfortunatly I have traded my old Amigas to others who
apprciate them. I still love playing Psygnosis games on WinUAE.

The Amiga systems along with Vectrex were some of the neatest systems out
there during the 80's. Atari came close but never quite made the same
impressions.

Michael Lenardon

"Rob Mitchell" <"solder_guy"@(what_is_this)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Maybe you could get the die from Sean ..
>
> Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

---

Rob Mitchell wrote:

> >>How is it connected to the computer BTW? RS232C (hopefully)? USB?<<
>
> RS232C 9 pin serial port! Only pins 2, 3 and 5 are actually used.

Wonderful! My current Amiga gear is fully up to the task then :).
Time to dust off my C skill...
--
// }{idehiko ()gata "I hope I didn't hurt you too much
\X/ Amiga since '86 when I killed you..." - Elmer Fudd

bekkoame is a classic Japanese candybar.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Good news ! - Mark tell's me he has received some cases.

So, I should be back in production in a couple of weeks.

Kev / Clay - if you have a new mould made, please try to incorporate the
extra clips, as SK's cases are a bit loose fitting at the top.

Also, let me know if you want a few of us to chip in some cash.

Richard H.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Yes! Mark has finally received his order, and now all Vectrex projects will
continue as scheduled...including my new game!

George

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

>I doubt I could compete with Sean directly on price (at least at first)
>since he already paid for the tooling.

I don't mind paying more for the cases, it'll be worth it for a steady
supply.

Richard H.

> Yoohoo! It's always nice to meet fellow Amigans :).

Absolutely :^)

> Mmm, sadly not... I'm now inclined to try it out though ;).

You can find free and demo versions of Candy Factory and Candy Factory Pro
on Aminet. You can quickly make good (rendered) looking logos and buttons
with it, with most functions working in real time, it's a bit like a fun toy
in that respect as well.

> I've always wondered if the vector list technology inspired Jay Miner...
> who knows, Vectrex might be a cousin of great-great-grandpa of Ami!

I bet he was inspired by lots of cool 80's technology, both the Amiga and
the Vectrex have that 'gadget' like 80's hardware that will most likely
never come back. I like the Atari Lynx for the same reason, very interesting
hardware.

The cool thing about both the Vectrex and the Amiga is the amazing support
for it that just keeps on going.

---

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

"Kev" <no@spamplz.kthx> wrote in message
> I've been talking to some people and I think it may be possible for me to
> get cases made. I have a line on a company that may be able to do it.
The
[...]
> Any interest?

Hey Kev, couldn't reach you through email.

I had the same idea a little while ago. I actually approached Sean about
buying his tooling, but haven't heard back. Maybe I'll see him im person at
CGE or something this year and hit him up about it again.

Anyway, the other option I'm thinking of (if buying Sean's die isn't
possible) is using a proprietary process one of the molders out here has
(normally for short-run prototypes, but that's "production" quantities for
the Vectrex ;-) . It's not as long-lasting as even a regular soft-tool, but
it's lots lots cheaper and would probably still be good for 500-1000+ shots
depending on the material. Supposedly there's no compromise on the
resulting parts, just the life of the tooling. My main motivation to go
with it was that I though it would be cool to shoot clear resin with
different tints just to be different...

-Clay

"Clay Cowgill" <clay@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Ej2Cc.90077$eu.9342@attbi_s02>...
> "Kev" <no@spamplz.kthx> wrote in message
<snip>
> Hey Kev, couldn't reach you through email.
>
> I had the same idea a little while ago. I actually approached Sean about
> buying his tooling, but haven't heard back. Maybe I'll see him im person at
> CGE or something this year and hit him up about it again.

<snip>
> -Clay

Hey Clay,
has anybody ever researched as to what happened to the original dies used
when Vectrex was being manufactured ? Maybe they are available somewhere ?
And I'm sure they would be very durable and of course - nothing beats the
"real thing" ! ;-)

Peteski