Your question

Old thinkpad 380XD

Tags:
  • Boot
  • CD-Rom
  • Laptops
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
March 21, 2012 5:23:28 PM

I've been given an old IBM Thinkpad 380XD. Everything has been erased from the HDD, & it’s been fdisk-ed & formatted. There’s no recovery partition & no discs with it.

I'm trying to install Win 98SE & I've changed the BIOS settings so it should boot from the CD, but the CD doesn’t seem to be recognised. I guess the drivers are gone. It does have a FDD, but I'm not sure what I need, that’ll fit on a floppy, to get it to boot from the CD. I tried the boot disks from here but it didn’t like them, even though they include IDE CDrom drivers.

Any advice on what to do & where to download..........whatever. much appreciated.

TIA

More about : thinkpad 380xd

March 21, 2012 6:23:13 PM

try hitting f11 or f12 during boot to see if it will give you a boot menu. That is an OLD laptop. Will really chug along. Those came with pentium 233 or so MHZ processors and 16BM ram if you are lucky :) 
Related resources
March 21, 2012 7:21:51 PM

IBM Thinkpad 380XD
Intel Mobile Pentium II 233MHz
96MB EDO RAM (32MB onboard, 64MB RAM module)

@deathengine: F11 & F12 both give an error message with an option to test components - testing CD drive didn't show anything. As I wrote before, I changed the boot order in the BIOS so I don't think it's that; I think it's drivers.
March 21, 2012 7:40:32 PM

Got a USB cd drive that you can test with? It could be drivers, but i would lean more towards an issue with the CD drive itself. The windows boot floppy should have loaded a proper driver when you attempted that. Thats what leads me to believe the drive might be bad.
That win 98 cd is bootable?
March 22, 2012 3:41:22 PM

I know for a fact that the CD’s working fine – the guy that gave me the laptop had it working last week, it’s only since he erased the HDD to make sure that all sensitive data was wiped that it’s a problem/

Any other suggestions anyone? Please?
Related resources
!