Can I setup print server box on my home machine?

I have a Troy print server box that connects to a printer at work. In the
box I can define subnet and ip address. I can talk to the print server
through IE by typing in the print server IP address. The print server will
present a page for configuring options. Of course my work has a lan setup
with routers and such to allow me to access the print server from my
workstation..

My question is can I setup my XP Home addition at home to talk to the print
server. I do not have all of the routers and such; just the standared
ethernet connection on my computer. I have a crossover cable at home that I
currently use to connect by laptop to the main machine which works.
Is it possible to do this at home?
Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about setup print server home machine

    "mao" <nospamplease.com> wrote:

    >I have a Troy print server box that connects to a printer at work. In the
    >box I can define subnet and ip address. I can talk to the print server
    >through IE by typing in the print server IP address. The print server will
    >present a page for configuring options. Of course my work has a lan setup
    >with routers and such to allow me to access the print server from my
    >workstation..
    >
    >My question is can I setup my XP Home addition at home to talk to the print
    >server. I do not have all of the routers and such; just the standared
    >ethernet connection on my computer. I have a crossover cable at home that I
    >currently use to connect by laptop to the main machine which works.
    >Is it possible to do this at home?
    >Thanks

    It would be possible, yes. But you would need at least a hub in order
    to do this and also retain your laptop to main machine connectivity.
    If you are satisfied with an "either/or" network configuration,
    whereby you could either have the print server connected to one of the
    machines or have the two machines connected to each other then you do
    not need a hub.

    The only other requirement is to configure all of the machines and the
    print server so that they are on the same subnet but with different
    i.p. addresses. In other words the first 3 segments of the i.p.
    address must be the same for all of them and the 4th segment must be
    different. Standard configuration would be to use addresses in the
    range 192.168.nnnn.aaa where nnn and aaa are numeric values from 0 to
    255.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks I'll give it a try

    > "mao" <nospamplease.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Troy print server box that connects to a printer at work. In the
    > >box I can define subnet and ip address. I can talk to the print server
    > >through IE by typing in the print server IP address. The print server
    will
    > >present a page for configuring options. Of course my work has a lan setup
    > >with routers and such to allow me to access the print server from my
    > >workstation..
    > >
    > >My question is can I setup my XP Home addition at home to talk to the
    print
    > >server. I do not have all of the routers and such; just the standared
    > >ethernet connection on my computer. I have a crossover cable at home that
    > >currently use to connect by laptop to the main machine which works.
    > >Is it possible to do this at home?
    > >Thanks
    > >

    > It would be possible, yes. But you would need at least a hub in order
    > to do this and also retain your laptop to main machine connectivity.
    > If you are satisfied with an "either/or" network configuration,
    > whereby you could either have the print server connected to one of the
    > machines or have the two machines connected to each other then you do
    > not need a hub.
    >
    > The only other requirement is to configure all of the machines and the
    > print server so that they are on the same subnet but with different
    > i.p. addresses. In other words the first 3 segments of the i.p.
    > address must be the same for all of them and the 4th segment must be
    > different. Standard configuration would be to use addresses in the
    > range 192.168.nnnn.aaa where nnn and aaa are numeric values from 0 to
    > 255.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --