Searched for info to no avail! - Possible malfunction on D..

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hi all,

I have searched this group in desperation as my newly recieved vectrex
has a fault that I cannot locate anywhere!

Bassically when I turn it on it goes straight to the player 1 prompt
and does nothing. If i then plug the controller into the player 2 port
and press all the buttons for a few mins the game starts but the ship
(In minestorm) just flys upward continiously. Changing the controller
back to player 1 means i can control the ship (Still flying upward all
the time) but none of the buttons work or do random things.

Thinking this was the controller I purchased another from ebay but it
does exactly the same. This leads me to believe that my vectrex is
poorly :(

I would love to get this working as Its such a great machine.
Any ideas or suggesstions would be greatly appreciated and if anyone
knows of people in the UK that can fix them that would be even better!

Many thanks

Kid303

kid303@hotmail.com (kid303) wrote in message news:<a3848cc7.0406170342.4a9ab34@posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I have searched this group in desperation as my newly recieved vectrex
> has a fault that I cannot locate anywhere!
>
> Bassically when I turn it on it goes straight to the player 1 prompt
> and does nothing. If i then plug the controller into the player 2 port
> and press all the buttons for a few mins the game starts but the ship
> (In minestorm) just flys upward continiously. Changing the controller
> back to player 1 means i can control the ship (Still flying upward all
> the time) but none of the buttons work or do random things.
>
> Thinking this was the controller I purchased another from ebay but it
> does exactly the same. This leads me to believe that my vectrex is
> poorly :(
>
> I would love to get this working as Its such a great machine.
> Any ideas or suggesstions would be greatly appreciated and if anyone
> knows of people in the UK that can fix them that would be even better!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Kid303

Sorry about your Vectrex.

Sounds like the input/output circuit which interfaces with the
controller is messed up.

You can easily find service manuals for Vectrex on eBay. Cheap too !
If you can't troubleshoot it yourself, take it to an old fashioned
TV/Radio/Electronic
repair shop (if you still have any around).

With the manual and schematic, they should be able to fix it for you.
Vectrex uses pretty much off-the-shelf components.

Peteski

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Have you tried replacing the 6522 ?

Is the sound still OK ?

Richard H.