start up problems

Ian

Having problems starting my computer. Recently my computer would take up to 5
minutes to show log in screen after the normal boot up. ( get windows xp load
screen, then a black screen with mouse cursor you can move around) now, when
i start up i get the black screen but it stays that way for half an hour or
more. ( havent timed it for longest time yet but still, it shouldnt do that.)
I have tried booting up with last best config option with same result. I can
boot in safe mode and have tried the system restore several times using
differnt restore points but it still wont boot in normal mode. I hope someone
has a brilliant idea because i'm stumped.

1) How much RAM do you have ?

2) When did it start misbehaving ? What changed on your
computer (new programs, new hardware, etc.) between now
and then ?

3) Do you run anti-virus and anti-spyware software ?

4) Have you run MSCONFIG and prevented everything except
your anti-virus from starting automatically ?

Please post back with more information.

Good Luck !

Ian

My system runs a pentium 4 2 GB processor, 256 RAM, havent installed any
thing new in a couple of days. Last Programs were World of Warcraft and Star
Wars Battlefront. Using Shaw Secure as my virus scanner. Havent been into the
MSCONFIG yet. Will that run from safe mode?

Ian

Just went and tried out the msconfig. disabled everything on startup except
virus scanner. stilll wont boot up normally. safe mode boots up fine but i
cant access internet. hope something brilliant shows up soon