error message

when i try boot my laptop i get the following:
Windows Could Not Start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
how do i fix this.
4 answers Last reply
More about error message

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314477

    "ronda" wrote:

    > when i try boot my laptop i get the following:
    > Windows Could Not Start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    > how do i fix this.

    I hope you've got a Windows XP installation CD handy because
    you're going to need it. Take a look at this article:

    What it comes down to is that you're going to have to boot into
    the Recovery Console and copy that file from your installation CD
    to the C:\Windows\System32 folder on your laptop.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "ronda" <ronda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when i try boot my laptop i get the following:
    > Windows Could Not Start because the following file is missing
    > or corrupt:
    > <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    > how do i fix this.

    thanks, i tried all four Methods, but still no joy...any info will help.

    ronda

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > I hope you've got a Windows XP installation CD handy because
    > you're going to need it. Take a look at this article:

    > What it comes down to is that you're going to have to boot into
    > the Recovery Console and copy that file from your installation CD
    > to the C:\Windows\System32 folder on your laptop.
    >
    > --
    > Nepatsfan
    > "ronda" <ronda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > when i try boot my laptop i get the following:
    > > Windows Could Not Start because the following file is missing
    > > or corrupt:
    > > <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    > > how do i fix this.

    If none of those options helped, then you may have to try a
    repair installation. Take a look here for how that's done:

    > thanks, i tried all four Methods, but still no joy...any info
    > will help.
    >
    > ronda
    >

    > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >
    >> I hope you've got a Windows XP installation CD handy because
    >> you're going to need it. Take a look at this article:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477/EN-US/
    >>
    >> What it comes down to is that you're going to have to boot
    >> into
    >> the Recovery Console and copy that file from your installation
    >> CD
    >> to the C:\Windows\System32 folder on your laptop.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nepatsfan
    >> "ronda" <ronda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > when i try boot my laptop i get the following:
    >> > Windows Could Not Start because the following file is
    >> > missing
    >> > or corrupt:
    >> > <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    >> > how do i fix this.