when i try boot my laptop i get the following:
Windows Could Not Start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
how do i fix this.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314477

"ronda" wrote:

> when i try boot my laptop i get the following:
> Windows Could Not Start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
> how do i fix this.

I hope you've got a Windows XP installation CD handy because
you're going to need it. Take a look at this article:

What it comes down to is that you're going to have to boot into
the Recovery Console and copy that file from your installation CD
to the C:\Windows\System32 folder on your laptop.

--
Nepatsfan
"ronda" <ronda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when i try boot my laptop i get the following:
> Windows Could Not Start because the following file is missing
> or corrupt:
> <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
> how do i fix this.

thanks, i tried all four Methods, but still no joy...any info will help.

ronda

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> I hope you've got a Windows XP installation CD handy because
> you're going to need it. Take a look at this article:

> What it comes down to is that you're going to have to boot into
> the Recovery Console and copy that file from your installation CD
> to the C:\Windows\System32 folder on your laptop.
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "ronda" <ronda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when i try boot my laptop i get the following:
> > Windows Could Not Start because the following file is missing
> > or corrupt:
> > <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
> > how do i fix this.

If none of those options helped, then you may have to try a
repair installation. Take a look here for how that's done: