spike

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003

This is a Really bugging issue, i recently purchased a new proccessor, mother
board and Memory, due to the frying of my old ones, i used to have a VERY old
version of linux running at the time, but did not know how to use it, so i
decided it was time to revert back to windows. I have never really had to big
a problem with XP Home, until now, There is one main thing happening and its
VERy annoying, when i try to open certain programmes i get the 'Not a valid
Win32 Application' come up, Heres some:

Disk Defragment
Character Map
File and Settings Transfer Wizard
and what is REALLY REALLY annoying is even paint has the error message,

I do use Winrar quite alot and that comes up with the same message, so i
just reinstall, but i dont have that luxury with the others and that is just
some of the programmes.

I have reinstalled 3 times now, in 2 days, and have had this happening for
about 2 weeks, I think that it is my hardware, which i hope it is not, but it
could be something to do with my windows disk, but then gain i borrowed my
friends disk to see if the same happened, and it did, that was XP Pro SP2.

If someone can please help me, without going into the 'deep' side of windows
(Regedit and that stuff) since i dont know how to use them, it would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Spike

Try an Upgrade setup.

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)