Cannot read Installation CD ??????

March 18, 2005 8:54:12 PM

I am trying to install a new printer and my computer cannot or will
not read the installation CD.

I have a Gateway 310XLB Pentium 4 2.6GHz with a 16x/48x DVD-Rom drive
and 48x/24x48x CD-RW.

When i put the installation CD for the printer (or any other
installation CD for that matter) into the CD-ROM drive I get the
following message:
" Windows Cannot read from this disc. The disc might be corrupted, or
it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows. (code
39)"

I can play music CD’s or DVD’d fine, just not program CD-ROMS. I tried
the installation CD on another computer and the autostart started
right up.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be and how to fix
it?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-read-Instal...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1086336

More about : read installation

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:36:38 AM

jimkenny <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

>I am trying to install a new printer and my computer cannot or will
>not read the installation CD.
>
>I have a Gateway 310XLB Pentium 4 2.6GHz with a 16x/48x DVD-Rom drive
>and 48x/24x48x CD-RW.
>
>When i put the installation CD for the printer (or any other
>installation CD for that matter) into the CD-ROM drive I get the
>following message:
>" Windows Cannot read from this disc. The disc might be corrupted, or
>it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows. (code
>39)"
>
>I can play music CD’s or DVD’d fine, just not program CD-ROMS. I tried
>the installation CD on another computer and the autostart started
>right up.
>
>Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be and how to fix
>it?

What happens if you put the CD into the DVD drive? Same problem or
are the CDs readable there?

That will help to identify the possible cause of the problem,
especially with regard to it being a problem with the CDRW drive
specifically or with the entire computer.

Also if the machine has a 3.5 inch diskette drive go to
www.bootdisk.com and download a Windows 98 boot disk image and create
the 3.5 inch diskette from it.

Boot the computer with that diskette and then see if you can access a
disk in the CDRW drive from the DOS command prompt. Watch the screen
during the bootup process and make note of the drive letters assigned
to the CDRW and to the DVD drive. Then put a data CD into the CDRW
drive, and (assuming that the boot disk has assigned drive lette E: to
the CDRW drive) enter the follow command from the DOS command prompt.

DIR E:

If that produces a listing of files from the disk in the CDRW drive
then you can assume that the hardware, including the drive itself, is
okay and that the problem is most likely with Windows configuration
and/or software drivers.

Post the results back here and we will proceed to the next step.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 1:26:42 AM

"Ron Martell" wrote:
>jimkenny <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to install a new printer and my computer cannot or
>will
>>not read the installation CD.
>>
>>I have a Gateway 310XLB Pentium 4 2.6GHz with a 16x/48x DVD-Rom
>drive
>>and 48x/24x48x CD-RW.
>>
>>When i put the installation CD for the printer (or any other
>>installation CD for that matter) into the CD-ROM drive I get the
>>following message:
>>" Windows Cannot read from this disc. The disc might be corrupted,
>or
>>it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows.
>(code
>>39)"
>>
>>I can play music CD’s or DVD’d fine, just not program CD-ROMS. I
>tried
>>the installation CD on another computer and the autostart started
>>right up.
>>
>>Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be and how to
>fix
>>it?
>
>What happens if you put the CD into the DVD drive? Same problem or
>are the CDs readable there?
>
>Same problem in the DVD drive. It can read music CD’s or
>DVD’s but not Data CD-Roms. Actually I have some backed-up MS
>Excel files on a CD and when I put that in it reads it fine. It seems
>to be a problem only with reading Installation CD-Roms for new
>programs.
>
>That will help to identify the possible cause of the problem,
>especially with regard to it being a problem with the CDRW drive
>specifically or with the entire computer.
>
>Also if the machine has a 3.5 inch diskette drive go to
>www.bootdisk.com and download a Windows 98 boot disk image and create
>the 3.5 inch diskette from it.
>
>I do not have a diskette drive on this computer.
>
>Boot the computer with that diskette and then see if you can access a
>disk in the CDRW drive from the DOS command prompt. Watch the screen
>during the bootup process and make note of the drive letters assigned
>to the CDRW and to the DVD drive. Then put a data CD into the CDRW
>drive, and (assuming that the boot disk has assigned drive lette E:
>the CDRW drive) enter the follow command from the DOS command prompt.
>
>DIR E:
>
>If that produces a listing of files from the disk in the CDRW drive
>then you can assume that the hardware, including the drive itself, is
>okay and that the problem is most likely with Windows configuration
>and/or software drivers.
>
>Post the results back here and we will proceed to the next step.
>
>Good luck
>

>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-read-Instal...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1088269
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:04:34 AM

jimkenny <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

>Thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it.

Download the file cdgone.zip from http://aumha.org/downloads and save
it to your hard drive. Open it and merge the cdgone.reg file into
your registry, but first read the "read me first.txt" file that comes
with the download.

Reboot the computer and see if the drives work okay.

!