Sign in with
Your question

New PC for 180 euros or a gaming console?

Tags:
Last response: in General UK & Ireland Discussions
December 30, 2012 11:21:02 AM

Hello,

I have an old AMD64 (1.8GHz) laptop (Toshiba Satellite A300D) which sometimes closes by itself due to cpu overheating.

I was thinking to retire it as a torrent machine and buy a new PC for 180 euros.

Instead of buying the PC I was thinking of buying a PS3 SS 12 GB or a XBox 4GB.

I'm not a hardcore gamer and due to difficulty to use my laptop for serious computing I was tending to a new PC but also having a 32" 3D TV I'd like to try some 3D gaming.

It's difficult for me to decide what to do... .

Please tell me your opinion!!!.
December 30, 2012 11:46:43 AM

Buying a decent PC for 180 Euros is impossible.You need at the very least twice that amount.
Just buy a Xbox 360 or PS3.
Comparing the two consoles is pretty hard as for gaming there aren't too many differences, but here it goes.

PS3 PROS:
Has a Blu-Ray Drive making it a great Home Theatre machine.
Compatable with PlayStation Move
Gaming online is free
Its exclusive games have amazing graphics

Xbox 360 PROS:
Multiplatform games often run smoother and with better graphics than on PS3
Compatable with Kinect
Better controller
a c 249 D Laptop
December 30, 2012 12:22:49 PM

Hi :) 

As said its impossible ...it CANNOT have a legal Windows on it for that money...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
December 30, 2012 12:47:04 PM

If the PC configuration takes out:
Monitor
Software
Mouse
Keyboard
Case+PSU
DVD drive
and even CPU (I have one sitting)+Fan,

what about? (because I forgot to mention (terribly sorry!!!) that is almost an upgrade!!!).

Also another question:

It's normal to use the laptop for downloading continuously?
December 30, 2012 12:48:22 PM

ubuntu, mint, knioppix, puppy, zorin, just a few of the free os's around, steam now doing linux and for the things it wont run theres always wine....
a c 249 D Laptop
December 30, 2012 12:49:51 PM

popeyejohnson said:
ubuntu, mint, knioppix, puppy, zorin, just a few of the free os's around, steam now doing linux and for the things it wont run theres always wine....

Linux for gaming ??

Not unless he or she is VERY computer savvy....

February 22, 2013 12:47:53 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Linux for gaming ??

Not unless he or she is VERY computer savvy....

:pfff:  :pfff:  :heink: 
Dont scare people, you dont know what you are talking about, linux is not hard, you donwload it (lets say lubuntu) donwload lili, make the pen drive bootable, boot, install, boot without the pen drive, install steam, games and whaterver else without ONE line in terminal :lol: 
a c 249 D Laptop
February 22, 2013 2:07:17 PM

rafa360 said:
:pfff:  :pfff:  :heink: 
Dont scare people, you dont know what you are talking about, linux is not hard, you donwload it (lets say lubuntu) donwload lili, make the pen drive bootable, boot, install, boot without the pen drive, install steam, games and whaterver else without ONE line in terminal :lol: 

MOST people wouldnt even know how to make a usb pen drive bootable.... much less all the rest....

March 4, 2013 7:47:27 PM

Brett928S2 said:

MOST people wouldnt even know how to make a usb pen drive bootable.... much less all the rest....

Given that Ubuntu's website has step by step instructions on how to make a bootable USB flash drive, by simply downloading an application and browsing for the Ubuntu ISO I dare say many people could follow it quite easily.
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2013 5:42:10 AM

Brett makes a valid point but I've managed to keep a lot of older machines on the road and sell them very cheaply with Linux systems installed. Some older people who are first time computer owners accept them willingly because they come with no Microsoft induced prejudices.

That said, I would draw the line at gaming in such cheap machines on the grounds of inadequate graphics or memory to run them. To me, that's the real issue in this old thread.

!