X-box

March 18, 2005 11:11:57 PM

I just got a computer networked with my parents today, and I need someone to
tell me how to hook my X box so I can play games on the internet. The cable
guy said I needed a wireless card to hook to the back of my x box. They have
a linksys router hooked to their computer. I can't figure out what I need
exactly to wirelessly hook my computer up the xbox. Help. Thanks

More about : box

March 19, 2005 2:07:02 AM

If you've got a Microsoft XBox and you're looking to use the XBox live
functionality, you'll need to access your existing internet connection. For
some people, that means connecting the xbox to your pc via Windows Internet
Connection Sharing.

Before you connect any cables, turn off your Xbox console, cable or DSL
modem, and PC. If you have an external modem, unplug it from its power source
to turn it off.

Connect one end of your Ethernet cable to the Ethernet out port on the PC
NIC. Connect the other end to the Ethernet port on the back of the Xbox
console.

Most Windows ICS connections require a crossover (not a standard,
straight-through) Ethernet cable for this, although some may require a
standard cable. See your modem documentation for more information.

Turn on your modem and your PC.

Configure Windows ICS to share your Internet connection. For more
information, see your Windows documentation.

Once ICS is configured, make sure that your PC can access the Internet.
Turn on your Xbox console with no disc in the disc tray.

From the Xbox Dashboard, choose Xbox Live. Or, play a game on your Xbox Live
Starter Kit disc and choose the option for Xbox Live play.

If you see the Xbox Live screen, congratulations! You are connected to Xbox
Live! If your Xbox console can't connect to Xbox Live, the Xbox Dashboard
provides an automatic network troubleshooter to help you connect.

"Virgo" wrote:

> I just got a computer networked with my parents today, and I need someone to
> tell me how to hook my X box so I can play games on the internet. The cable
> guy said I needed a wireless card to hook to the back of my x box. They have
> a linksys router hooked to their computer. I can't figure out what I need
> exactly to wirelessly hook my computer up the xbox. Help. Thanks

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:23:01 PM

Yeah, I had the same question! And I have another one... how do you know for
sure you actually did configure the ICS correctly?? LOL And I was wondering
if you had the cable modem instead of the Ethernet, do you need a router to
run xbox live and the computer at the same time? Does ICS act as the router
does??
--
God bless!

"BAR" wrote:

> If you've got a Microsoft XBox and you're looking to use the XBox live
> functionality, you'll need to access your existing internet connection. For
> some people, that means connecting the xbox to your pc via Windows Internet
> Connection Sharing.
>
> Before you connect any cables, turn off your Xbox console, cable or DSL
> modem, and PC. If you have an external modem, unplug it from its power source
> to turn it off.
>
> Connect one end of your Ethernet cable to the Ethernet out port on the PC
> NIC. Connect the other end to the Ethernet port on the back of the Xbox
> console.
>
> Most Windows ICS connections require a crossover (not a standard,
> straight-through) Ethernet cable for this, although some may require a
> standard cable. See your modem documentation for more information.
>
> Turn on your modem and your PC.
>
> Configure Windows ICS to share your Internet connection. For more
> information, see your Windows documentation.
>
> Once ICS is configured, make sure that your PC can access the Internet.
> Turn on your Xbox console with no disc in the disc tray.
>
> From the Xbox Dashboard, choose Xbox Live. Or, play a game on your Xbox Live
> Starter Kit disc and choose the option for Xbox Live play.
>
> If you see the Xbox Live screen, congratulations! You are connected to Xbox
> Live! If your Xbox console can't connect to Xbox Live, the Xbox Dashboard
> provides an automatic network troubleshooter to help you connect.
>

> "Virgo" wrote:
>
> > I just got a computer networked with my parents today, and I need someone to
> > tell me how to hook my X box so I can play games on the internet. The cable
> > guy said I needed a wireless card to hook to the back of my x box. They have
> > a linksys router hooked to their computer. I can't figure out what I need
> > exactly to wirelessly hook my computer up the xbox. Help. Thanks

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:35:32 PM

"moniesue" <moniesue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yeah, I had the same question! And I have another one... how do you know
> for
> sure you actually did configure the ICS correctly?? LOL And I was
> wondering
> if you had the cable modem instead of the Ethernet, do you need a router
> run xbox live and the computer at the same time? Does ICS act as the
> router
> does??
> --
> God bless!

My apologies if I'm off-base since I'm just joining this thread now.
Regarding X-Box Live, if you have a wireless network you can use an ethernet
bridge or a gaming adaptor, they both accomplish the same thing although a
bridge can be used for other evices while the gaming adaptor can only be
used for a gaming console.

The IP address of the bridge/adaptor has to be set to match the range opf IP
addresses that the router uses. My PC has two onboard NICs, so I simply
connected the bridge to one of the NICs and used the included software to
configure the IP address and security. Then I connected the bridge to the
X-Box. Despite setting the security on the bridge, Icould not establish an
interent connection with the X-Box. In order to do this, I had to put the
IP address of the bridge into the "DMZ" in the network. Once I did that the
connection worked fine and I earned the undying gratitude of my son.
!