9600 color problems

REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
I just got a ATI made radeon9600, its works very well with no real big problems. But in a mod for quakeIII called true combat, I am getting some strange colors. In the areas that are supposed to have shadowy textures, like black or dark gray, They are like a bluish green. Its really ugly and i have tried many different in game graphics settings and it doesnt seem to matter. I am running 3.7 catalyst drivers and dx9 on A winXP pro os.

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/triumph_mod" target="_new">The Game Club</A> <font color=red>is a hangout for gamers who play multiple titles and want a lenient community to discuss whatevers on their mind</font color=red>

REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
well after further research it seems that all the guys who play this mod on radeon cards have the same problem, and more the card also displays the skybox lines making for an even uglier scene. I was hoping with all the hype surrounding ati's image quality i was going to see an improvement. Unfortunately its drastically ugly compared to the nvidia products i have used in the past. Its not like this is some strange game, its quakeIII for godsakes. Sure it benchmarks just fine but does that matter when the picture is so ugly, i dont think so. I called ati and sent them an email they had no clue, just the standard driver questions which are all up to date. Arrrgh this is my favorite game and it has been nearly ruined by this card.

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/triumph_mod" target="_new">The Game Club</A> <font color=red>is a hangout for gamers who play multiple titles and want a lenient community to discuss whatevers on their mind</font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
You should drop the guys who made the mod a line. They are the ones who have created the mod, and they are the ones who would need to fix it.

Chances are they ignored texture spec or something...

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

c0d1f1ed

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Since there's no problem with Quake III... Possibly not the drivers but the mod is doing something wrong that NVidia drivers allow or correct? I've heard lots of developers claiming they have found a bug in a driver, while after some time they realize they're doing something out of specifications... Of course it still can be a real driver bug as well.

its quakeIII for godsakes.
NO IT'S NOT! It's a Mod For GodSake! Go talk to the devlopers of the mod it's their issue, not ATI's.

Go trade in your card for a GF4MX or an FX5200 and be satisfied playing that one game. Be sure to contact the people playing CS and you can commiserate about how your DX9 hardware doesn't do well with games meant to be played on archaic technology. Just don't waste driver developers' time coding for this stuff.

Return your card and get more system memory and maybe some beer and play your game to your heart's content, just don't expect to play newer titles.

OIE, another CS like clone for Q3, just what we all need. Patchy-Patch path!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Mods like any other software are subject to bugs. The inclusion of more content is not always the provocation for a file updating the mods. Often, updates to mods include bug fixes that existed in previous versions. No mod developer is perfect and its almost a given that the first initial release of any mod will be buggy.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
Take it easy ape, I am not going back to nvidia. The card is fine and the mod runs well, it just looks like someone splashed tidy bowl all over the walls. But like you said the dx9 issues with the fx cards is to big to be ignored and i am hoping that a new mod release or catalyst will solve the problem. And if it doesnt I'll still play the game. I dunno where to place the blame though, some of the ati users i talked to said the color issues came around with v3.6 of the catalysts. So I installed 3.5 but it didnt make any difference, so I am beginning to think the mod may be to blame.

Sorry for jumping on you but the past 6-12mths has been CS players whinning about their games on DX9 cards, when in fact the games would best be on older cards, and the lack of support is CS and the mod'ers fault not the Catalyst makers. Every Catalyst release the forums were filled with the SAME CS stuff.

The main thing s that s almost 99.44% certain that it is the MOD that is causing the problems not the drivers or the hardware. The other thing is that in order to correct some of the issues for smaller games ATI might mess with their current games' funtionaliy.

Anywhoo, unfortunately your post came off as blaming the hardware (which happens alot here), when in fact it's almost certainly the mod itself.

In any case there may be a work around but just like the early days of CS it will come from the Mod-makers. Althogh also expect that as the game gets older and the mod makers abandon it, that it won't work with future products, although it is STILL he mod'ers responsability, whih unfortunately gets foisted upon people like Catalyst Maker to fix (and he should be worrying about the most modern stuff, like making the naked DAWN demo run on Radeons :wink: )

Sorry for snapping, but this just was too similar tothe CS issue.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
No problem man, I was angry at the time of the post. That game is my favorite and it bothered me that my brand new card wasnt running it like i expected it would. But I am convinced that its the mod, quake runs really nice, I just got through playig BF1942 and that looked better than i had ever seen it. I am only running a 1.1 ghz athlon with 512meg of pc133ram and i was getting around 50fps in bf with aa at 4x. Not only was it smooth it looked really good. So overall I cant complain, the true combat makers are aware of the problem as its been stated at their forums. So maybe theyll fix it, maybe not, but it seems to me that the only geforce card worth owning these days is the 5900ultra and spending 500bucks on a video card is way more than I am willing to pay.