Laptops with two (dual) hard drive bays

Status
Not open for further replies.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
looking for a new 17in + laptop with dual hard drive bays.

i know of the HP dv7s, and some of the acers.

anyone know of other models ? i know some of the 17 in + dells, but which models in particular ?

any other makes ?

and i dont want to swap out the optical device

thanx

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
1. What is your budget? $600

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17 in +

3. What screen resolution do you want? doesnt matter

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacer

5. How much battery life do you need? doesnt matter

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
no games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

movies, www, dvd editing, dvd burning

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? i have my drives already, but MUST have dual bays

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. any

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? as long as possible

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? dvd writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
PC Only, no mac
13. What country do you live in? guam

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

zenrunner92

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah, I'm looking for the same thing---a laptop with an auxilary bay for a second HDD because I want to install an SSD as the boot drive but keep the HDD for storage, while retaining the optical drive.

Y'all don't start flooding us with answers all at once now, ya hear? :lol:

zenrunner92

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011

Which dv7s in particular? I've only been told of the Dell Latitude 5420s I think.

Neither HP nor Dell are my preferred brands, sure wish Asus and Lenovo or Toshiba made some dual-bay lappies.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

asus, lenovo, toshiba DO make dual drive models

all the hp dv7s do, its the hp g7s that do not

good luck getting advice on here

zenrunner92

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011

really? do you remember the model numbers?

btw, I think your $600 budget for a dual-bay laptop is highly unrealistic unless buying refurbished. From what I've seen the dual bay feature is present mainly in the $900-1600 range.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

as far as the budget, maybe thats why you didnt also know about the all the other brands and models that have dual bays because you havnt done the research that i have (just goofin). the acers (new) can easily be found in that range. go to acers website, find one with dual bays, then shop for it elsewhere.

and refurbs i can find dual bay LTs in the $500 range. even newegg has that, and then you can even purchase an extended warranty on a refurb and you essentially have nice new warranted dual bay laptop. and the warranties a very reasonably priced.

I bought a new hp that i found on dealigg for $720, with dual hard drive bays. i had to buy the extra bay kit, $26 on ebay, install my ssd and hdd that i already had, and it is kickn booty. the new BeatsAudio on the HPs dv7 series is incredible. the best sounding laptop i ever heard. first time i have had complaints from a neighbor because of a laptop, lol !!!!!!!! but i agree with about hp, not my first choice, but thats where my budget landed me. i prefer asus, darn !

on the serious side, if you google what you are looking for, you will find it. it took me awhile, but where i finally got the best help was from places that sell hard drive bay kits and such. the premium sellers on ebay know all the models with dual bays and the guys that helped me the most: newmodeus ., i emailed them and heard back the next day.

on a side note : you will get plenty of people who say the only way to do it is to install in a hdd carrier in the optical bay. dont listen to them. they will talk till their blue in the face. i have been using dual bay laptops with the optical drive intact for over 8 years now. and they get a little miffed when i tell them that.

good luck !!!

HarryC

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

I have a Samsung RF710 I've had for 2 years now. It's an intel i5, 17-inch that came with a 640GB drive, and to my delight it had a spare bay, which I promptly filled with a 500Gb fast drive (now upgraded to a 1TB drive). So I've now got 1.64TB on board (soon to be 2TB).
Works great! I think the replacement for the RF710 may be more up-market for your budget. I got this one at Best Buy on a special for $850 in 2010.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

I got the Acer V3-731-4649 for $430 with free shipping from Newegg.

Running a Samsung 830 128gb SSD with a 1 tb WD for my data drive

17.3 in with dual drive bays

works perfect

thanx for the info

stevedonato

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
You can get brand new (today)17.3" screen dual drive laptop, with intel i5 processor, windows 8, and 1 650gb hd (you have buy 2nd drive yourself). The model is NV76xxx Gateway (now owned by ACER).
You can also find it's predicessor (used or referb) laptop NV79 dual drive 17.3" screen with i3 intelalso Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.