folder/file read only

March 19, 2005 7:59:31 AM

Hi y'all,

WinXP SP2 problem. Folders and files in the program files folder are set to
read only. I try to turn off read only in these folders and lower folders
and files. It seems to take, but when I close the explorer and reopen, the
read only is back. I am an administrator on the computer, I've tried
changing the attributes in a dos (command prompt) window, and I've tried
starting in safe mode. Nothing I do seems to have an effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Robert

More about : folder file read

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:13:27 AM

Hi,

> Any ideas?

Yes - it's normal. "Read Only" as an attribute on a folder is ignored by the
system. Are you actually having a problem, or is this just a curiosity?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi y'all,
>
> WinXP SP2 problem. Folders and files in the program files folder are set
> to read only. I try to turn off read only in these folders and lower
> folders and files. It seems to take, but when I close the explorer and
> reopen, the read only is back. I am an administrator on the computer,
> I've tried changing the attributes in a dos (command prompt) window, and
> I've tried starting in safe mode. Nothing I do seems to have an effect.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Robert

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 7:03:16 PM

What's the problem?

"Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:TkO_d.25582$OU1.23138@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> Hi y'all,
>
> WinXP SP2 problem. Folders and files in the program files folder are set to
> read only. I try to turn off read only in these folders and lower folders
> and files. It seems to take, but when I close the explorer and reopen, the
> read only is back. I am an administrator on the computer, I've tried
> changing the attributes in a dos (command prompt) window, and I've tried
> starting in safe mode. Nothing I do seems to have an effect.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Robert

March 20, 2005 12:25:20 AM

The problem is that when it is read only, you cannot write to that folder or
subfiles. I need to be able to do this. Let's make this simple: I make a
text file on the desktop and drag and drop to a folder. Now, when I try to
edit the file, it's read only. This is of critical importance for a program
that I run on the system.

"Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi y'all,
>
> WinXP SP2 problem. Folders and files in the program files folder are set
> to read only. I try to turn off read only in these folders and lower
> folders and files. It seems to take, but when I close the explorer and
> reopen, the read only is back. I am an administrator on the computer,
> I've tried changing the attributes in a dos (command prompt) window, and
> I've tried starting in safe mode. Nothing I do seems to have an effect.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Robert

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 12:25:21 AM

Hi,

You're not listening. That attribute, though it seems to exist on the
folder, is *ignored* by the system. If you cannot edit a file you created,
then you have an issue, but this is not the problem.

--

> The problem is that when it is read only, you cannot write to that folder
> or subfiles. I need to be able to do this. Let's make this simple: I
> make a text file on the desktop and drag and drop to a folder. Now, when
> I try to edit the file, it's read only. This is of critical importance
> for a program that I run on the system.
>
> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi y'all,
>>
>> WinXP SP2 problem. Folders and files in the program files folder are set
>> to read only. I try to turn off read only in these folders and lower
>> folders and files. It seems to take, but when I close the explorer and
>> reopen, the read only is back. I am an administrator on the computer,
>> I've tried changing the attributes in a dos (command prompt) window, and
>> I've tried starting in safe mode. Nothing I do seems to have an effect.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Robert

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 9:18:10 AM

The problem I am having is a KNOWN issue (I found this by googling). I
guess no one has reported it here before? I find that hard to believe.
Any way, thanks for responding even if it was of no help.
Robert
news:o HHCj7OLFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> You're not listening. That attribute, though it seems to exist on the
> folder, is *ignored* by the system. If you cannot edit a file you created,
> then you have an issue, but this is not the problem.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> The problem is that when it is read only, you cannot write to that folder
>> or subfiles. I need to be able to do this. Let's make this simple: I
>> make a text file on the desktop and drag and drop to a folder. Now, when
>> I try to edit the file, it's read only. This is of critical importance
>> for a program that I run on the system.
>>
>> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi y'all,
>>>
>>> WinXP SP2 problem. Folders and files in the program files folder are
>>> set to read only. I try to turn off read only in these folders and
>>> lower folders and files. It seems to take, but when I close the
>>> explorer and reopen, the read only is back. I am an administrator on
>>> the computer, I've tried changing the attributes in a dos (command
>>> prompt) window, and I've tried starting in safe mode. Nothing I do
>>> seems to have an effect.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Robert

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 9:18:11 AM

<sigh> You read but do not comprehend. People *think* it's an issue - it is
not. People *think* that this makes the files in the folder uneditable - it
does not. It is *NOT* the issue that you or anyone that you have googled
think it is. It hasn't been, and it's not going to be. I cannot make this
any clearer.

If the file (read: *file*, not *folder*) is uneditable, it may contain the
"read only" attribute, but it is not inheriting this from the folder. It may
also be a permissions issue, if you do not have a sufficient level of
priviledges on the system, you will not be able to edit system files or
files created by another user with a higher level if they chose to make them
read only. But, just to repeat myself, this has absolutely nothing to do
with the read only attribute that you are seeing at the directory level.

--

> The problem I am having is a KNOWN issue (I found this by googling). I
> guess no one has reported it here before? I find that hard to believe.
> Any way, thanks for responding even if it was of no help.
> Robert
> news:o HHCj7OLFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> You're not listening. That attribute, though it seems to exist on the
>> folder, is *ignored* by the system. If you cannot edit a file you
>> created, then you have an issue, but this is not the problem.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> The problem is that when it is read only, you cannot write to that
>>> folder or subfiles. I need to be able to do this. Let's make this
>>> simple: I make a text file on the desktop and drag and drop to a
>>> folder. Now, when I try to edit the file, it's read only. This is of
>>> critical importance for a program that I run on the system.
>>>
>>> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:43:10 PM

You are probably misrteading what you have read. Prove that they are read only. Explorer won't tell you if a folder is read only or not. It will for files.

"Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:CA8%d.25927$OU1.9346@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> The problem I am having is a KNOWN issue (I found this by googling). I
> guess no one has reported it here before? I find that hard to believe.
> Any way, thanks for responding even if it was of no help.
> Robert
> news:o HHCj7OLFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> You're not listening. That attribute, though it seems to exist on the
>> folder, is *ignored* by the system. If you cannot edit a file you created,
>> then you have an issue, but this is not the problem.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> The problem is that when it is read only, you cannot write to that folder
>>> or subfiles. I need to be able to do this. Let's make this simple: I
>>> make a text file on the desktop and drag and drop to a folder. Now, when
>>> I try to edit the file, it's read only. This is of critical importance
>>> for a program that I run on the system.
>>>
>>> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 11:28:52 PM

And we are all tired of people wanting to argue with us about this. Most of us have 10 years (in August) experience of arguing about this.

!