  • Dell
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
January 12, 2005 12:54:48 AM

Which setting do I use:

Perform Smart Scan or Perform Full System Scan??

MB

More about : aware setting

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 3:04:44 AM

MB_ wrote:
> Which setting do I use:
>
> Perform Smart Scan or Perform Full System Scan??
>
> MB

It would be wise to do a Full System Scan upon the
completion of the initial installation and repeat
until all of the adware has been removed. And for
touch-ups afterwards, a "Smart Scan". Moreover, if
there is concern about an adware attack, it would
be worthwhile to repeat with a Full System Scan.
January 12, 2005 9:59:28 AM

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> Which setting do I use:
>
> Perform Smart Scan or Perform Full System Scan??
>
> MB

I always use full but go to the help and read about what each does before
you decide

dj
January 13, 2005 12:27:24 AM

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> Which setting do I use:
>
> Perform Smart Scan or Perform Full System Scan??
>
> MB

Run the full scan.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:52:56 PM

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote

>> Which setting do I use:
>>
>> Perform Smart Scan or Perform Full System Scan??

>Run the full scan.

Agree with S Lewis. Taking as a given that you practice "safe
computing", particularly, in the case of Adware/Spyware, when
surfing the Web into the somewhat "wilder" regions; use a good AV
program to monitor your drives, incoming email, etc.; a weekly
run of your AV/anti-AW-SW tools should be sufficient, at least
IME. Since I do it weekly, I just pick a time when I won't be
computing [say, while I'm watching the Redskins Sunday and
getting totally teed off at them] and run the full scans using
the AV and my AdAware and Spybot S&D. With my computers, the AV
run is ~30 min, and the two AW/SW programs take about 15 min each
or less. An hour and I'm done for the week. And the Redskins
still have plenty of time to blow the game.
--
OJ III
January 13, 2005 4:54:50 PM

since we are on the topic of internet security(and football,
apparently. long suffering dophins fan here) for those of you who use
windows , do you think thier new "malicious software removal tool"
(that's what my update list calls it) is worth a download, or will it
simply add to windows bloat? i'm already up to my ears in security
software and what i use seems to do a good job. because this tool comes
from ms do you think it may offer something more, or perhaps just more
of the same? any replys are welcome and appreciated : )
January 13, 2005 7:41:32 PM

lot's of great info. thanks! and sorry for the somewhat vague ms/
windows update info of my initial post. end of the day fatigue is
kicking in!
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:22:35 PM

I'm having a bit of trouble here deciding when to run Ad-Aware. The Redskins
season is over. I guess that I can run Ad-Aware during the NFL playoffs, but
after the Super Bowl, what then? Do I have to wait until March Madness?

:)  Ben Myers

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:52:56 -0500, Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote
>
>>> Which setting do I use:
>>>
>>> Perform Smart Scan or Perform Full System Scan??
>
>>Run the full scan.
>
>Agree with S Lewis. Taking as a given that you practice "safe
>computing", particularly, in the case of Adware/Spyware, when
>surfing the Web into the somewhat "wilder" regions; use a good AV
>program to monitor your drives, incoming email, etc.; a weekly
>run of your AV/anti-AW-SW tools should be sufficient, at least
>IME. Since I do it weekly, I just pick a time when I won't be
>computing [say, while I'm watching the Redskins Sunday and
>getting totally teed off at them] and run the full scans using
>the AV and my AdAware and Spybot S&D. With my computers, the AV
>run is ~30 min, and the two AW/SW programs take about 15 min each
>or less. An hour and I'm done for the week. And the Redskins
>still have plenty of time to blow the game.
>--
>OJ III
>[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
>Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:22:36 PM

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

>I'm having a bit of trouble here deciding when to run Ad-Aware. The Redskins
>season is over. I guess that I can run Ad-Aware during the NFL playoffs, but
>after the Super Bowl, what then? Do I have to wait until March Madness?
>
>:)  Ben Myers

I take it, then, that you are single, Ben. During the NFL -
March Madness interregnum, my "honey" puts me to work full-time
Sundays on her "honey-do" list. The only break I get is that
time starting AV/AA/SBS&D and then checking the results. ;->

[While she watches the Pro roundball games that I never got into.
If I'd ever gotten into NBA basketball and/or hockey, I'd be home
free all year.]

[Ssssuuuurrrreeee, I would.]
--
OJ III
January 13, 2005 8:33:29 PM

"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
> since we are on the topic of internet security(and football,
> apparently. long suffering dophins fan here) for those of you who use
> windows , do you think thier new "malicious software removal tool"
> (that's what my update list calls it) is worth a download, or will it
> simply add to windows bloat? i'm already up to my ears in security
> software and what i use seems to do a good job. because this tool comes
> from ms do you think it may offer something more, or perhaps just more
> of the same? any replys are welcome and appreciated : )

What program are you referring to? Ad Aware SE is not from MS (Microsoft)
it's from Lavasoft.

I use the free anti-spyware tools/software and these free programs are ok.
But if your serious about keeping your system clean I have found that
the pay versions like Webroot's Spy Sweeper and CA Pest Patrol
finds spyware that Ad Aware SE or Spybot 1.3 don't or can't find.

Don't believe me try these free online scans and see.

Pest Patrol Online Scan
http://store.ca.com/v2.0-img/operations/safer/site/ab/p...

Spy Sweeper Online Scan
http://www.webroot.com/services/spyaudit_03.htm

Note: The above 2 URL's will only find spyware won't remove
the spyware unless you download and install the shareware
version or pay versions.

Microsoft has released a free Anti-Spyware software
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...
I have tried this also, works well.
Note: this software is in Beta..meaning it's brand new software.
The core of this software is formerly Giant Anti-Spyware software.
Microsoft recently bought out Giant.

Steve
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:38:09 PM

"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:

>since we are on the topic of internet security(and football,
>apparently. long suffering dophins fan here) for those of you who use
>windows , do you think thier new "malicious software removal tool"
>(that's what my update list calls it) is worth a download, or will it
>simply add to windows bloat? i'm already up to my ears in security
>software and what i use seems to do a good job. because this tool comes
>from ms do you think it may offer something more, or perhaps just more
>of the same? any replys are welcome and appreciated : )

They just licensed/bought out one of the existing
anti-adware/spyware programs out there [forgot what it was now,
it was named on the page you could download the beta version
from].

It's apparently out of beta, and on the autoupdate/security
update cycle, since my computer notified me and I let it
download/install. Wait a minute while I check a couple of things

.... ... ... ...

Hmm. Seems two different things. The Malicious Software Removal
Tool is, sort of, a Windoze 2K+ specific AV supplement to
whatever your current AV is:

Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2005 (KB890830)
This tool checks your computer for infection by specific,
prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and
Mydoom) and helps remove any variants found. You should also use
an antivirus product to remove other malicious software that may
be present. This tool helps maintain your computer, and its
appearance does not indicate that your machine is infected with
malicious software. After you run this item, you may have to
restart your computer.
Help and support

Turns out, if you read the info on that link, it isn't exactly
installed, just registered.

And it *is* a *removal* tool. Apparently run from MS to /remove/
an infection by one of the virus/trojans/worms involved.

The Windows AntiSpyware Beta is still a beta, and is covered at:

[And it is the Giant AntiSpyware program, viz:

"For Users of Giant AntiSpyware:
Current Giant AntiSpyware users with active subscriptions are
advised to continue to use their existing software."]

For the nonce, I'll ignore the Beta, and think about what to do
when it comes out of Beta and Windoze puts it on the update list,
either the auto "security" ones, or on the "nice to have"
"voluntary" side.

[I don't have the full auto update set, which auto downloads
installs the security ones, just the notification part, that
allows me to decide if/when to download a security upgrade.]
--
OJ III
January 13, 2005 8:38:10 PM

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>since we are on the topic of internet security(and football,
>>apparently. long suffering dophins fan here) for those of you who use
>>windows , do you think thier new "malicious software removal tool"
>>(that's what my update list calls it) is worth a download, or will it
>>simply add to windows bloat? i'm already up to my ears in security
>>software and what i use seems to do a good job. because this tool comes
>>from ms do you think it may offer something more, or perhaps just more
>>of the same? any replys are welcome and appreciated : )

<snip>

The software program was formerly sold under the name "Giant" anti-spyware.
From what I've read, MS changed very little about it.

I've had it installed for about 2 weeks now. While overall performance
results aren't conclusive at this early stage, I like it. It does find
entries that AdAware and even SpyBot do not.

This new MS app runs real-time in your systray and actively flags suspect
activities. Any love affair I might have with it will be gone if MS
pretends to charge me for it.

The program is also tagged to "expire" in July 2005. We shall see.

Stew
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:03:32 PM

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

[Snipped all the rest]
><snip>

>The software program was formerly sold under the name "Giant" anti-spyware.
>From what I've read, MS changed very little about it.
>
>I've had it installed for about 2 weeks now. While overall performance
>results aren't conclusive at this early stage, I like it. It does find
>entries that AdAware and even SpyBot do not.
>
>This new MS app runs real-time in your systray and actively flags suspect
>activities. Any love affair I might have with it will be gone if MS
>pretends to charge me for it.

While impressions where M$ is concerned are dangerous, I am under
the impression that this is another part of their, probably
futile, attempt to overcome their reputation as a company that
doesn't give a hoot for the security holes in their products.
And if that take making anti-spyware a part of WinXP, for free,
that's what they'll do.

Thank for the info, though, on your use of it. First person I've
heard from that actually installed it. [Not as bad as it sounds,
all I've seen are the press releases and columns based on the
press releases - this is word one from a real user.] Think I'll
give it a try.

>The program is also tagged to "expire" in July 2005. We shall see.

Which I suspect means they feel the program is solid, and will be
out of beta and into the update stream well before July.
--
OJ III
January 13, 2005 10:19:37 PM

Single? Nah. Not even close... Ben

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:36:08 -0500, Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>I'm having a bit of trouble here deciding when to run Ad-Aware. The Redskins
>>season is over. I guess that I can run Ad-Aware during the NFL playoffs, but
>>after the Super Bowl, what then? Do I have to wait until March Madness?
>>
>>:)  Ben Myers
>
>I take it, then, that you are single, Ben. During the NFL -
>March Madness interregnum, my "honey" puts me to work full-time
>Sundays on her "honey-do" list. The only break I get is that
>time starting AV/AA/SBS&D and then checking the results. ;->
>
>[While she watches the Pro roundball games that I never got into.
>If I'd ever gotten into NBA basketball and/or hockey, I'd be home
>free all year.]
>
>[Ssssuuuurrrreeee, I would.]
>--
>OJ III
>[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
>Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
January 13, 2005 10:22:23 PM

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> [Snipped all the rest]
>><snip>
>

>>The software program was formerly sold under the name "Giant"
>>anti-spyware.
>>From what I've read, MS changed very little about it.
>>
>>I've had it installed for about 2 weeks now. While overall performance
>>results aren't conclusive at this early stage, I like it. It does find
>>entries that AdAware and even SpyBot do not.
>>
>>This new MS app runs real-time in your systray and actively flags suspect
>>activities. Any love affair I might have with it will be gone if MS
>>pretends to charge me for it.
>
> While impressions where M$ is concerned are dangerous, I am under
> the impression that this is another part of their, probably
> futile, attempt to overcome their reputation as a company that
> doesn't give a hoot for the security holes in their products.
> And if that take making anti-spyware a part of WinXP, for free,
> that's what they'll do.
>
> Thank for the info, though, on your use of it. First person I've
> heard from that actually installed it. [Not as bad as it sounds,
> all I've seen are the press releases and columns based on the
> press releases - this is word one from a real user.] Think I'll
> give it a try.
>
>>The program is also tagged to "expire" in July 2005. We shall see.
>
> Which I suspect means they feel the program is solid, and will be
> out of beta and into the update stream well before July.
> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

Yes Microsoft Windows does have it's problems,
but then again no Operating System is completely
safe or 100% secure. Checkout Linux operating systems and others
here http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletinsByType/bul_vendor_lis...

Steve
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 11:24:25 PM

"Infinion" <g.strait@somewhere.com> wrote:

>I too have been running the MS Anti Spyware product for about two weeks. So
>far I like what I see. I put Ad-Aware SE on the shelf for awhile due to the
>fact MS found several entries Ad-Aware missed. As far as SpyBot is concerned
>I run it first as a comparison factor. So far MS Anti-Spyware and my paid
>Spyware Doctor both out perform SpyBot. Anyways it's whatever works for you
>as to your internet surfing habits.

That's two for two, you and Stew, so I think I definitely will go
ahead and try it out. I get the impression that the
anti-adware/spyware crowd don't exchange info as much on new
threats as the AV people do, so for now I'll still use at least
two or three. Hadn't checked out Spyware Doctor at this point,
so I'll take a peek at it. Still mulling over which of the paid
ones I'll get.
--
OJ III
January 13, 2005 11:24:26 PM

> "Infinion" <g.strait@somewhere.com> wrote:
>
>>I too have been running the MS Anti Spyware product for about two weeks.
>>So
>>far I like what I see. I put Ad-Aware SE on the shelf for awhile due to
>>the
>>fact MS found several entries Ad-Aware missed. As far as SpyBot is
>>concerned
>>I run it first as a comparison factor. So far MS Anti-Spyware and my paid
>>Spyware Doctor both out perform SpyBot. Anyways it's whatever works for
>>you
>>as to your internet surfing habits.
>
> That's two for two, you and Stew, so I think I definitely will go
> ahead and try it out. I get the impression that the
> anti-adware/spyware crowd don't exchange info as much on new
> threats as the AV people do, so for now I'll still use at least
> two or three. Hadn't checked out Spyware Doctor at this point,
> so I'll take a peek at it. Still mulling over which of the paid
> ones I'll get.
> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

I'm sort of surprised that the Giant software hadn't gotten any play in this
very newsgroup. To be honest, I don't recall ever having heard of it - or
if so not much. Perhaps they operated on a pay-only basis with limited or no
demos of the software.

Along with the real-time systray function/updates, it also has a feature
that (if the user decides to enable and participate) reports found spyware
to a shared database to monitor infection activity.

I read an article (in Eweek, I believe) that stated, in effect, this version
is really not a 'beta' at all but rather the Giant software nearly
identically tagged with the MS logo.

Stew
January 13, 2005 11:49:26 PM

I assume you are talking about the Windows patch that was just
released
>> this week, and not what all the other posters are talking about,
since
>> that's the way it was titled. I let it install and didn't see any c
in boot and load time at all.
January 13, 2005 11:57:50 PM

I assume you are talking about the Windows patch that was just released
>> this week, and not what all the other posters are talking about,
since
>> that's the way it was titled
yes, tom! that's
exactly what i was talking about. could not think of the term patch at
the time for the life of me. where is my mind today? (please no reply's
to that question)! thanks for the specific info as boot time, load
time, and system slowdown is always a concern of mine when patching up
windows. i was one of the first to jump on sp2 when it first came out
and needed to promptly uninstall as it glitched up my system but good.
gave it a few months till the kinks were worked out and it was perfect.
but still i'm a bit wary.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:06:07 AM

"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
> since we are on the topic of internet security(and football,
> apparently. long suffering dophins fan here) for those of you who use
> windows , do you think thier new "malicious software removal tool"
> (that's what my update list calls it) is worth a download, or will it
> simply add to windows bloat?

I assume you are talking about the Windows patch that was just released this
week, and not what all the other posters are talking about, since that's the
way it was titled. I let it install and didn't see any change in boot and
load time at all. It did run a test & I think it will only kick in again if
something gets through all the holes in the fence!!

Tom J
January 14, 2005 1:09:35 AM

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

> "jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
>> since we are on the topic of internet security(and football,
>> apparently. long suffering dophins fan here) for those of you who use
>> windows , do you think thier new "malicious software removal tool"
>> (that's what my update list calls it) is worth a download, or will it
>> simply add to windows bloat?
>
> I assume you are talking about the Windows patch that was just released
> this week, and not what all the other posters are talking about, since
> that's the way it was titled. I let it install and didn't see any change
> in boot and load time at all. It did run a test & I think it will only
> kick in again if something gets through all the holes in the fence!!
>
> Tom J

No... we are talking about a free beta program that you have to download
Microsoft Anti-Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...
not to be confused with the recent patches from www.windowsupdate.com

Steve
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 1:19:14 AM

"Steve" <two_one@w7.org> wrote in message

> "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> since we are on the topic of internet security(and football,
>>> apparently. long suffering dophins fan here) for those of you who use
>>> windows , do you think thier new "malicious software removal tool"
>>> (that's what my update list calls it) is worth a download, or will it
>>> simply add to windows bloat?
>>
>> I assume you are talking about the Windows patch that was just released
>> this week, and not what all the other posters are talking about, since
>> that's the way it was titled. I let it install and didn't see any change
>> in boot and load time at all. It did run a test & I think it will only
>> kick in again if something gets through all the holes in the fence!!
>>
>> Tom J
>>
> No... we are talking about a free beta program that you have to download
> Microsoft Anti-Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...
> not to be confused with the recent patches from www.windowsupdate.com

I put that on 1 computer to give it a try. Turned off Ad Aware SE 1st. It
checked the drive and found nothing. I then restarted Ad Aware SE and there
was MS buddy "Hit Box" sitting there!! I un-installed the MS beta and moved
on. I rather have the independent!!

Tom J
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:39:04 AM

> http://store.ca.com/v2.0-img/operations/safer/site/ab/p...

While it found VNC & Edonkey (both installed with my knowledge), it
reported a BHO that does _not_ exist on my computer (checked with
HijackThis!) called VX2

There may be an obscure redundant registry entry, but without any of the
components that make this spyware operate i`d class it as scaremongering
to sell their product...

January 14, 2005 2:39:05 AM

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> http://store.ca.com/v2.0-img/operations/safer/site/ab/p...
>
> While it found VNC & Edonkey (both installed with my knowledge), it
> reported a BHO that does _not_ exist on my computer (checked with
> HijackThis!) called VX2
>
> There may be an obscure redundant registry entry, but without any of the
> components that make this spyware operate i`d class it as scaremongering
> to sell their product...
>
> --
> Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
> --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

Yes the Pest Patrol can be extreme..The Spy Sweeper scan is more
in line in my opinion.
One of my friends had a bad infection from gator spyware and pest patrol
was the only one so far that prevented gator from coming back.

http://www.webroot.com/services/spyaudit_03.htm

Steve
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:41:57 AM

> There may be an obscure redundant registry entry, but without any of the
> components that make this spyware operate i`d class it as scaremongering
> to sell their product...

Just checked the entry manually in the registry, and they are reporting
VX2 as being an open source CD extractor from sourceforge.net which I
think I can fairly safely rule out !

January 14, 2005 3:42:20 AM

> One of my friends had a bad infection from gator spyware and pest patrol
> was the only one so far that prevented gator from coming back.

The worst case I ever saw involved a colleague from work and Gator, on a
virtually pristine new WinME machine (only a couple of months old).

It took 6 hours to boot, and every single mouse click took 10-15 minutes
to register.

On top of that, it had trashed the registry making it impossible to boot
fully without reverting to a backup. When we eventually got the machine
booted, Spybot S&D had it sorted in seconds.

He learned his lesson, and has a firewall, AV (updated regularly), and
scans for spyware on a regular basis.

January 14, 2005 3:46:50 AM

> http://www.webroot.com/services/spyaudit_03.htm

I`m still not convinced as to the accuracy of these checkers, as this one
reported asm.exe from Brilliant Digital.

The file does not exist on any of my 8 partitions.

January 14, 2005 2:52:34 PM

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I'm sort of surprised that the Giant software hadn't gotten any play in this
>very newsgroup. To be honest, I don't recall ever having heard of it - or
>if so not much. Perhaps they operated on a pay-only basis with limited or no
>demos of the software.

Yeah. Here or elsewhere that anti-AW/SW proggies are often
discussed. Just found their web-site, and it refers everything
about their anti-spyware tool to MS. On this one, MS apparently
bought out that program from them, and what they were doing in
the past is not addressed.

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

>Along with the real-time systray function/updates, it also has a feature
>that (if the user decides to enable and participate) reports found spyware
>to a shared database to monitor infection activity.
>
>I read an article (in Eweek, I believe) that stated, in effect, this version
>is really not a 'beta' at all but rather the Giant software nearly
>identically tagged with the MS logo.

I had the same thought when I first viewed that MS page on it
after it was first mentioned in a tech column. That has been MS
practice with some other "utilities" they've added to Windows
over the years - e.g., AIUI they licensed their disk defragger
and disk cleanup utilities they added from Norton or someone like
that. I guessed when reading the MS page that the "beta" is only
to make sure that their implementation of it as a part of Windows
is working for users.

I also hadn't heard of that Spyware Doctor that Infinion
mentioned, so I just did a google on it, and it sounds good.
Latest version released Jan 7th, 2005. They do note that the
trial version operates in scan mode only. The paid version can
do a lot of real-time protection stuff. Like everything else in
this section of the software world, it's $29.95 for the paid
version. ;->

[Damned PCTools is throttling their downloads, I'm getting ISDN
speeds even though I've got a 3+mbit/sec cable connection. Sigh.
The google turned up several other sources for Spy Doctor. If
anyone is gonna try it, I'd try one of them. It's a 4MB
proggie.]
--
OJ III
January 16, 2005 6:19:57 AM

Steve wrote:

> "jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>since we are on the topic of internet security(and football,
>>apparently. long suffering dophins fan here) for those of you who use
>>windows , do you think thier new "malicious software removal tool"
>>(that's what my update list calls it) is worth a download, or will it
>>simply add to windows bloat? i'm already up to my ears in security
>>software and what i use seems to do a good job. because this tool comes
>>from ms do you think it may offer something more, or perhaps just more
>>of the same? any replys are welcome and appreciated : )
>
> What program are you referring to?

It's brand new (Release Date: January 11, 2005) and comes up now when
you go to the Windows Update site:

SUMMARY

Microsoft has released the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal
Tool to help remove specific, prevalent malicious software from
computers that are running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft
Windows XP, or Microsoft Windows 2000. The Malicious Software Removal
Tool supersedes all virus-cleaner tools that were previously released by
Microsoft. You can download the Malicious Software Removal Tool from the
Microsoft Download Center. You can also run an online version of the
tool from the Malicious Software Removal Tool Web site on Microsoft.com.
To run the Malicious Software Removal Tool from either location, you
must log on to your computer with an account that is a member of the
Administrators group. If you are running Windows XP, you can also run
the Malicious Software Removal Tool from the Windows Update Web site or
by using Automatic Updates.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830#kb1

I have no experience with it.
January 16, 2005 12:44:30 PM

hello all. i downloaded the above mentioned "malicious software removal
tool" patch, but can't find it anywhere on my computer. i've checked
the windows security center, programs on c:, sys tray, add/remove
programs, and all folders. even opened up windows in c:( which is a bit
foreign to me. lot's of stuff in there). so i assume just like a
regular patch it simply adds itself to windows without making a point
of it. but then how do i use it if i ever need it? is it just going to
pop-up if i'm infected? does it work in the background(certainly not
for removal of something bad)? aagh!! nutty stuff. oh , also downloaded
the ms anti-spyware program mentioned in other posts, and it would seem
to be a very good thing indeed. and i came up-clean as a whistle after
a scan. which is what using an alternative to ie will do for you
(firefox, in my case). have a good one, everybody : )
January 16, 2005 1:32:01 PM

thanks for the info and the link, nick. haven't had much time for the
web or alot of checking into things this busy new year. these boards
are a real lifesaver for me lately.
January 16, 2005 9:05:19 PM

On 16 Jan 2005 09:44:30 -0800, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "jd"
<sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:

>hello all. i downloaded the above mentioned "malicious software removal
>tool" patch, but can't find it anywhere on my computer. i've checked
>the windows security center, programs on c:, sys tray, add/remove
>programs, and all folders. even opened up windows in c:( which is a bit
>foreign to me. lot's of stuff in there). so i assume just like a
>regular patch it simply adds itself to windows without making a point
>of it. but then how do i use it if i ever need it? is it just going to
>pop-up if i'm infected? does it work in the background(certainly not
>for removal of something bad)? aagh!! nutty stuff. oh , also downloaded
>the ms anti-spyware program mentioned in other posts, and it would seem
>to be a very good thing indeed. and i came up-clean as a whistle after
>a scan. which is what using an alternative to ie will do for you
>(firefox, in my case). have a good one, everybody : )

According to Microsoft's web site, the 'malicious software remove tool'
isn't a patch and doesn't install anything on your computer.

All it does is check your computer's memory to see if any of a small number
of Trojans, etc. are currently running, and removes any it finds.

It does not scan your hard drives for viruses, Trojans, etc. that aren't
currently running and it doesn't run in the background to check for new
infections.

For more information on that tool, check here:
<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830&gt; (that's where you wind up if you
follow the 'more info' links on the Windows Update page).

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
Anonymous

If the 'malicious software removal tool' was really what it claimed to be, it
would delete Windows in its entirety... Ben Myers

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:05:19 GMT, Nick <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote:

>On 16 Jan 2005 09:44:30 -0800, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "jd"
><sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>hello all. i downloaded the above mentioned "malicious software removal
>>tool" patch, but can't find it anywhere on my computer. i've checked
>>the windows security center, programs on c:, sys tray, add/remove
>>programs, and all folders. even opened up windows in c:( which is a bit
>>foreign to me. lot's of stuff in there). so i assume just like a
>>regular patch it simply adds itself to windows without making a point
>>of it. but then how do i use it if i ever need it? is it just going to
>>pop-up if i'm infected? does it work in the background(certainly not
>>for removal of something bad)? aagh!! nutty stuff. oh , also downloaded
>>the ms anti-spyware program mentioned in other posts, and it would seem
>>to be a very good thing indeed. and i came up-clean as a whistle after
>>a scan. which is what using an alternative to ie will do for you
>>(firefox, in my case). have a good one, everybody : )
>
>According to Microsoft's web site, the 'malicious software remove tool'
>isn't a patch and doesn't install anything on your computer.
>
>All it does is check your computer's memory to see if any of a small number
>of Trojans, etc. are currently running, and removes any it finds.
>
>It does not scan your hard drives for viruses, Trojans, etc. that aren't
>currently running and it doesn't run in the background to check for new
>infections.
>
>For more information on that tool, check here:
><http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830&gt; (that's where you wind up if you
>follow the 'more info' links on the Windows Update page).
>
>--
>Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
January 16, 2005 9:54:58 PM

Ben Myers wrote:
> If the 'malicious software removal tool' was really what it claimed to be, it
> would delete Windows in its entirety... Ben Myers

LOL - amen to that, Ben!
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 10:17:13 PM

> If the 'malicious software removal tool' was really what it claimed to be, it
> would...

....install linux ;-)

January 17, 2005 8:12:05 AM

Ben,