I keep getting different errors at different stages trying to re-install XP
on a dual boot.
Had a 98/XP dual boot on 2 partitions that gave me no problems. Replaced an
Intel motherboard, and that went fine. Then Backed up with Norton Ghost,
reformatted, but couldn't restore backup.

Repartitioned & installed 98. But XP setup repeatedly failed - it couldnt
locate setup files, or it kept running chkdisk at each boot, or other errors.
Then Wiped drive "according to NASA stds" (? all the best spacemen have
clean hard drives?). Failed again.
Repartitioned again & tried to install Window2k instead of XP. Setup fails
again, at different stages with different errors.
Lastly, tried to install 2k on fat32 & still get errors. It can't be the
motherboard, it worked before with XP, right? What the heck else? Can
somebody help?

Hi

After you replaced the motherboard, did you perform a 'Repair' install of
XP? Please have a look at the following article by Michael Stevens:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups.

"headcold" <headcold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I keep getting different errors at different stages trying to re-install XP
> on a dual boot.
> Had a 98/XP dual boot on 2 partitions that gave me no problems. Replaced
> an
> Intel motherboard, and that went fine. Then Backed up with Norton Ghost,
> reformatted, but couldn't restore backup.
>
> Repartitioned & installed 98. But XP setup repeatedly failed - it couldnt
> locate setup files, or it kept running chkdisk at each boot, or other
> errors.
> Then Wiped drive "according to NASA stds" (? all the best spacemen have
> clean hard drives?). Failed again.
> Repartitioned again & tried to install Window2k instead of XP. Setup
> fails
> again, at different stages with different errors.
> Lastly, tried to install 2k on fat32 & still get errors. It can't be the
> motherboard, it worked before with XP, right? What the heck else? Can
> somebody help?

Repair never came up as an option

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> After you replaced the motherboard, did you perform a 'Repair' install of
> XP? Please have a look at the following article by Michael Stevens:
>
> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> "headcold" <headcold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I keep getting different errors at different stages trying to re-install XP
> > on a dual boot.
> > Had a 98/XP dual boot on 2 partitions that gave me no problems. Replaced
> > an
> > Intel motherboard, and that went fine. Then Backed up with Norton Ghost,
> > reformatted, but couldn't restore backup.
> >
> > Repartitioned & installed 98. But XP setup repeatedly failed - it couldnt
> > locate setup files, or it kept running chkdisk at each boot, or other
> > errors.
> > Then Wiped drive "according to NASA stds" (? all the best spacemen have
> > clean hard drives?). Failed again.
> > Repartitioned again & tried to install Window2k instead of XP. Setup
> > fails
> > again, at different stages with different errors.
> > Lastly, tried to install 2k on fat32 & still get errors. It can't be the
> > motherboard, it worked before with XP, right? What the heck else? Can
> > somebody help?

Hi

After the motherboard has been replaced, a 'Repair' install of XP is needed.
What kind of XP CD have you got?

--

> Repair never came up as an option
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> After you replaced the motherboard, did you perform a 'Repair' install of
>> XP? Please have a look at the following article by Michael Stevens:
>>
>> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups.
>>

>> "headcold" <headcold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I keep getting different errors at different stages trying to re-install
>> >XP
>> > on a dual boot.
>> > Had a 98/XP dual boot on 2 partitions that gave me no problems.
>> > Replaced
>> > an
>> > Intel motherboard, and that went fine. Then Backed up with Norton
>> > Ghost,
>> > reformatted, but couldn't restore backup.
>> >
>> > Repartitioned & installed 98. But XP setup repeatedly failed - it
>> > couldnt
>> > locate setup files, or it kept running chkdisk at each boot, or other
>> > errors.
>> > Then Wiped drive "according to NASA stds" (? all the best spacemen have
>> > clean hard drives?). Failed again.
>> > Repartitioned again & tried to install Window2k instead of XP. Setup
>> > fails
>> > again, at different stages with different errors.
>> > Lastly, tried to install 2k on fat32 & still get errors. It can't be
>> > the
>> > motherboard, it worked before with XP, right? What the heck else? Can
>> > somebody help?

Hi, at the time, XP took the new board in stride, the motherboard was almost
identical to the original, so it just took the updated drivers & it was fine.
The XP cd is came with the Gateway PC.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> After the motherboard has been replaced, a 'Repair' install of XP is needed.
> What kind of XP CD have you got?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> "headcold" <headcold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Repair never came up as an option
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> After you replaced the motherboard, did you perform a 'Repair' install of
> >> XP? Please have a look at the following article by Michael Stevens:
> >>
> >> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups.
> >>

> >> "headcold" <headcold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi

If the XP CD is one of Gateway's own, then may not have the 'Repair' option
available and only be able to 'Clean' install from it. Have you been asked
to re-activate XP since replacing the motherboard?

--

> Hi, at the time, XP took the new board in stride, the motherboard was
> almost
> identical to the original, so it just took the updated drivers & it was
> fine.
> The XP cd is came with the Gateway PC.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> After the motherboard has been replaced, a 'Repair' install of XP is
>> needed.
>> What kind of XP CD have you got?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups.
>>

>> "headcold" <headcold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Repair never came up as an option

Not after the mb install, but I had to reactivate XP (x3) after reformatting
and running setup. I didn't need to reformat, I only chose to because I'm a
dork and like that clean look. I thought maybe the XP disk was bad, but 2000
won't install either. and 98 is running fine. What am I forgetting to do?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> If the XP CD is one of Gateway's own, then may not have the 'Repair' option
> available and only be able to 'Clean' install from it. Have you been asked
> to re-activate XP since replacing the motherboard?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:09:03 -0800, "headcold"
<headcold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Not after the mb install, but I had to reactivate XP (x3) after reformatting
>and running setup. I didn't need to reformat, I only chose to because I'm a
>dork and like that clean look. I thought maybe the XP disk was bad, but 2000
>won't install either. and 98 is running fine. What am I forgetting to do?

If 2000 doenst work either I would suspect a hardware issue. Swap
your CD drive and try again. If that fails I would start looking at
memory.

Steve B.

OMG It was the memory. Thank you,
You are a genius!