AMD Fusion Llano A6 or A8: Triple Display Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I plan on using a laptop as my desktop system as well as my travel system.
I am not a gamer.

My current i5 laptop is limited to 2 displays at a time: The laptop display, and 1 external display, either VGA or HDMI.
I would like to know:

For when I am in the office, can the Llano APU based laptops capable of outputting to 2 external displays, as well as have the laptop display, for a total of 3 displays?

Anyone have an AMD 8 series based laptop who has tried a tri-monitor setup?

PS: I am aware of the existence of USB displays, such as those produced by AOC. This question is specifically targeted at the capabilities of AMD A series laptops, and NOT USB displays.

Solution
This diagram is from the Anandtech review: The AMD Llano Notebook Review: Competing in the Mobile Market

In the left hand side PCIe Options, at the top, you see the two Head Controllers which is what gives you 2 display outputs (and only 2).
pcie_sm.jpg
Hello jacobdrj;

THG Review: The AMD A8-3500M APU Review: Llano Is Unleashed
The East-Side GPU
"Outside the hub, the Fusion APU has two display controllers"

That indicates to me it operates just two displays. Two display controllers = two displays.
Even with a dedicated GPU added you're still limited to the same two display controllers.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
@WR2:
No. I had not.
Very, very cool!

But this looks like an absurdly expensive solution. I was trying to do this on the cheep, either by getting an inexpensive A6 or A8 system with 2 displays already built in, to use with my 2 existing LCDs. Having to buy a dock contraption looks prohibitively expensive, and it seems like using USB LCDs would be far more cost effective, and portable even...

As shown above a Llano option has the same limitation as your current i5 laptop.
For the less than the cost of a new Llano laptop plus the cost of the USB monitor you could certainly get a $250 docking station that would let you run a three/four display setup with the monitors you already own.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
...Or I could spend $100 on a new USB monitor, without a docking station, for use with my existing i5 laptop (AOC is having a sale for the rest of the month) and have the added portability of a USB powered LCD...

I already had an A6 laptop in mind that would have cost me 250. I already had the office LCDs, so that would have been a wash, AND I would have had an additional laptop, rather than a proprietary dock.

Yes, I understand the limitations. Thank you for the confirmation. That is all I was looking for. Thank you for that information, and your proof confirming that information.

It is interesting that most of the Tom's Hardware Forum guys are always result oriented. That's great if you are looking for results (which most OTHER Tom's posters asking questions are). But if you are like me and have an explicit question, seeking just an explicit answer, it kind of makes posts much more tedious ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS