Deleted or not deleted - that is the queation!

Hi,
Apparantly I have no other option but to do a factory restore. Will all the
data currently on the hard drive be deleted or will it be sitting in a folder
somewhere?
Thanks

I depends on the specific procedure used.
If you have OEM Windows provided with the computer, check your manual and/or
contact the manufacturer.
All OEMs create their restore procedure differently with some giving more
options than others.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Apparantly I have no other option but to do a factory restore. Will all
> the
> data currently on the hard drive be deleted or will it be sitting in a
> folder
> somewhere?
> Thanks

It is OEM and i'm waiting to here off the manufacturer, ( they never rush do
they!!!)
I also have a full version of XP though but when I tried to use it to do a
rescue, it wouldn't recognise my scsi hard drive!

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> I depends on the specific procedure used.
> If you have OEM Windows provided with the computer, check your manual and/or
> contact the manufacturer.
> All OEMs create their restore procedure differently with some giving more
> options than others.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Apparantly I have no other option but to do a factory restore. Will all
> > the
> > data currently on the hard drive be deleted or will it be sitting in a
> > folder
> > somewhere?
> > Thanks

I've actually had a new disk sent to me today, which when I use get's me to
the 'Windows XP Home edition setup' page.
My manufacturer has told me to choose option D and to delete the selected
partition. I presume they mean C: but can't I just press Enter and set up
Windows Xp on C: Will that over data on C: or just install Windows?
I'm showing
F: Partition1 (Inactive (OS/2 Boot Man 3506 MB ( 898 MB free)
C: Partition2 (NTFS) 152821 MB (76897 MB free)

"Smiffie72" wrote:

> It is OEM and i'm waiting to here off the manufacturer, ( they never rush do
> they!!!)
> I also have a full version of XP though but when I tried to use it to do a
> rescue, it wouldn't recognise my scsi hard drive!
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > I depends on the specific procedure used.
> > If you have OEM Windows provided with the computer, check your manual and/or
> > contact the manufacturer.
> > All OEMs create their restore procedure differently with some giving more
> > options than others.
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> > http://www.dts-l.org
> >

> > "Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > Apparantly I have no other option but to do a factory restore. Will all
> > > the
> > > data currently on the hard drive be deleted or will it be sitting in a
> > > folder
> > > somewhere?
> > > Thanks

Hi

If you have an OEM XP CD or a 'Recovery' one then only a 'Clean' install of
XP may be possible. In this case all data will be deleted. Do you know
which type of XP CD you have?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Smiffie72" <Smiffie72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Apparantly I have no other option but to do a factory restore. Will all
> the
> data currently on the hard drive be deleted or will it be sitting in a
> folder
> somewhere?
> Thanks

Since the drive is new to you, delete the partitions.
You want to delete all partitions.
That way you know you are starting in the best position.