Virtual memory/hibernate problems

Sam

In the last week, my computer has been refusing to switch off. The
standby/hibernate button is disabled so I can't click it, and when I
press turn off, the computer does this, then proceeds to restart.
Once restarted, the computer (with win xp sp2) stays on the welcome
screen until I press ctrl,alt,del to which it then starts.
Also, it's been saying that there's a problem with the virtual memory
paging file (when going into the system settings in control panel to
try sorting it it tells me 'Windows created a temporary paging file on
your computer because of a problem that occurs with your paging file
configuration when you started your computer. The total paging file
size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you
specified.
I then go on to change the custom size of the virtual memory but it
continues to say I have currently 0MB allocated.

What is wrong with it? What would I need to do to stop this all from
happening and make it work?

Sam

Running an XP Upgrade setup might help. Unless sp2 is on the original disk, uninstall sp2, upgrade, reinstall sp2.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509