DCom Launcher wont start

I've had a lot of previous trouble with services in my version of XP Home,
I've had to re-register my Windows Installer service a couple of times.

Currently I'm trying to access the Disk Management Utility which requires
the 2 Logical * services to be running, after assuming these were the
problematic element I tried re-registering them and scoured google for an
answer, but while searching I discovered my RPC not found error (but working
RPC service) implied that my DCom Launcher service wasn't started.

The service is set to Automatic but refuses to start, with a "service did
not respond in timely fashion" type timeout error.

I can't perform a repair of XP because for some reason it's not accepting my
Administrator password, so I'm really stuck with having to sort this out the
hard way (format and reinstall is not an option).

Does anyone have any idea how I would/should go about reinstalling my DCom
service, or what I can do about this problem?

Thanks for your time.

Since this is being reported by more than a few people, you may have some spyware, or virus damage.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"David Rossiter" <David Rossiter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've had a lot of previous trouble with services in my version of XP Home,
> I've had to re-register my Windows Installer service a couple of times.
>
> Currently I'm trying to access the Disk Management Utility which requires
> the 2 Logical * services to be running, after assuming these were the
> problematic element I tried re-registering them and scoured google for an
> answer, but while searching I discovered my RPC not found error (but working
> RPC service) implied that my DCom Launcher service wasn't started.
>
> The service is set to Automatic but refuses to start, with a "service did
> not respond in timely fashion" type timeout error.
>
> I can't perform a repair of XP because for some reason it's not accepting my
> Administrator password, so I'm really stuck with having to sort this out the
> hard way (format and reinstall is not an option).
>
> Does anyone have any idea how I would/should go about reinstalling my DCom
> service, or what I can do about this problem?
>
> Thanks for your time.

I have considered this, and though that may have been the cause the system is
now spyware free, so how would I go about rectifying the problem without a
clean installation?

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Since this is being reported by more than a few people, you may have some spyware, or virus damage.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "David Rossiter" <David Rossiter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've had a lot of previous trouble with services in my version of XP Home,
> > I've had to re-register my Windows Installer service a couple of times.
> >
> > Currently I'm trying to access the Disk Management Utility which requires
> > the 2 Logical * services to be running, after assuming these were the
> > problematic element I tried re-registering them and scoured google for an
> > answer, but while searching I discovered my RPC not found error (but working
> > RPC service) implied that my DCom Launcher service wasn't started.
> >
> > The service is set to Automatic but refuses to start, with a "service did
> > not respond in timely fashion" type timeout error.
> >
> > I can't perform a repair of XP because for some reason it's not accepting my
> > Administrator password, so I'm really stuck with having to sort this out the
> > hard way (format and reinstall is not an option).
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea how I would/should go about reinstalling my DCom
> > service, or what I can do about this problem?
> >
> > Thanks for your time.

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm