Event ID: 494
Date: 3/19/2005
Time: 11:55:02 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OFFICE
wuauclt (3328) Database recovery failed with error -1216 because it
encountered references to a database,
'C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb', which is no
longer present. The database was not brought to a consistent state
before it was removed (or possibly moved or renamed). The database
engine will not permit recovery to complete for this instance until the
missing database is re-instated. If the database is truly no longer
available and no longer required, please contact PSS for further
instructions regarding the steps required in order to allow recovery to
proceed without this database.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ESENT
Event Category: Logging/Recovery
Event ID: 454
Date: 3/19/2005
Time: 11:55:04 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OFFICE
wuauclt (3580) Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error -1216.

I noticed the errors after trying to determine why everytime I click
"Start", then the red shutdown button to get the shutdown options, I
have to wait nearly 3 minutes after clicking the red shutdown button
before the options panel appears, all the while I have an hourglass
mouse pointer and can do nothing else except bring up the Task Manager.

I am at a loss as to where to look in the system to determine the cause
of either of these problems.

Hi

Please try the following:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=494&source=ESENT
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=454&source=ESENT

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please try the following:
>
> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=494&source=ESENT
> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=454&source=ESENT

I have and it leads me to a dead end.

Firstly, the file in question does indeed exist.
It has a filedate coincidental with the time that the errors began occuring.

Do you suspect that these errors have anything to do with the long delay
in getting the shutdown options panel, or might the two problems (errors
and lag time) be two symptoms of a common problem?

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please try the following:
>
> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=494&source=ESENT
> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=454&source=ESENT

I seem to have determined the delay and lagtime when trying to shutdown.
Seems that disabling Event Logging in Services cleared that up.
Of course, event logging is how I discovered the other errors for ESENT.
So, I still don't see a path to resolving the ESENT errors yet.