Windows XP - Workgroup trust ?

March 19, 2005 11:28:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's (to
prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared resources)
?
March 19, 2005 11:28:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:28:18 +0100, "Spritney Beers" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

>Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's (to
>prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared resources)
>?

Are your computers running XP Home, XP Pro, or a mixture? This makes a
difference.

On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
you need to have SFS properly set on each computer.

On XP Pro with SFS disabled, check the Local Security Policies (Control Panel -
Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
"Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
local users authenticate as themselves".

On XP Pro with SFS disabled, if you set the above Local Security Policy to
"Guest only", enable the Guest account, using Start - Run - "cmd" - type "net
user guest /active:yes" in the command window. If "Classic", setup and use a
common non-Guest account on all computers. Whichever account is used, give it
an identical, non-blank password on all computers.

On XP Home, and on XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled, make sure that the
Guest account is enabled, on each computer. Enable Guest, with Start - Run -
"cmd", then type "net user guest /active:yes" in the command window. Ensure
that the password for Guest is blank, with Start - Run - "control
userpasswords2"; select Guest, click Reset Password, click OK without entering a
new password.

On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights Assignment,
on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this computer
from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.

--
Cheers,
Chuck

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

In article <n3%_d.46129$Uh3.24399@biebel.telenet-ops.be>, "Spritney
Beers" <spritneybeers@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's (to
>prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared resources)
>?

If the computers run XP Home Edition, make sure that the Guest account
is enabled for network access by typing this line at the command
prompt:

net user guest /active:yes

If the computers run XP Professional, see whether simple file sharing
is enabled or disabled.

If simple file sharing is enabled, use the "net user" command above.

If simple file sharing is disabled, create matching user accounts on
both computers: same user name and same non-blank password.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
March 19, 2005 11:31:50 PM

"Spritney Beers" <spritneybeers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's
> (to prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared
> resources) ?

correction: to prevent the password prompt when accessing the other one's
shared resources
sorry for my bad english
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 1:53:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

ok, thanks for the fast and very helpfull information :o )

"Spritney Beers" <spritneybeers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's
> (to prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared
> resources) ?

March 20, 2005 1:53:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:53:29 +0100, "Spritney Beers" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

>ok, thanks for the fast and very helpfull information :o )
>
>"Spritney Beers" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's
>> (to prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared
>> resources) ?

We (some of we anyway) are glad to help, thanks for the feedback.

--
!