Windows XP - Workgroup trust ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's (to
prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared resources)
?
5 answers Last reply
More about windows workgroup trust
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:28:18 +0100, "Spritney Beers" <*email_address_deleted*>
    wrote:

    >Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's (to
    >prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared resources)
    >?

    Are your computers running XP Home, XP Pro, or a mixture? This makes a
    difference.

    On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
    Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
    you need to have SFS properly set on each computer.

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, check the Local Security Policies (Control Panel -
    Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
    "Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
    local users authenticate as themselves".

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, if you set the above Local Security Policy to
    "Guest only", enable the Guest account, using Start - Run - "cmd" - type "net
    user guest /active:yes" in the command window. If "Classic", setup and use a
    common non-Guest account on all computers. Whichever account is used, give it
    an identical, non-blank password on all computers.

    On XP Home, and on XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled, make sure that the
    Guest account is enabled, on each computer. Enable Guest, with Start - Run -
    "cmd", then type "net user guest /active:yes" in the command window. Ensure
    that the password for Guest is blank, with Start - Run - "control
    userpasswords2"; select Guest, click Reset Password, click OK without entering a
    new password.

    On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
    Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights Assignment,
    on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
    network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this computer
    from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    In article <n3%_d.46129$Uh3.24399@biebel.telenet-ops.be>, "Spritney
    Beers" <spritneybeers@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's (to
    >prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared resources)
    >?

    If the computers run XP Home Edition, make sure that the Guest account
    is enabled for network access by typing this line at the command
    prompt:

    net user guest /active:yes

    If the computers run XP Professional, see whether simple file sharing
    is enabled or disabled.

    If simple file sharing is enabled, use the "net user" command above.

    If simple file sharing is disabled, create matching user accounts on
    both computers: same user name and same non-blank password.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    "Spritney Beers" <spritneybeers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's
    > (to prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared
    > resources) ?

    correction: to prevent the password prompt when accessing the other one's
    shared resources
    sorry for my bad english
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    ok, thanks for the fast and very helpfull information :o)

    "Spritney Beers" <spritneybeers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's
    > (to prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared
    > resources) ?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:53:29 +0100, "Spritney Beers" <*email_address_deleted*>
    wrote:

    >ok, thanks for the fast and very helpfull information :o)
    >
    >"Spritney Beers" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to make some kind of trust between 2 workgroup WinXP PC's
    >> (to prevent a password prompt to get access to the other one's shared
    >> resources) ?

    We (some of we anyway) are glad to help, thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    My email is AT DOT