Non-working games

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hi all

I've just won a couple of games off ebay, and when I try them the
vectrex starts ok, it plays the music and shows the title screen but
doesn't respond to any button presses. It works fine with other carts
that I own, so I was wondering if anybody had any ideas?

If the games were broken in some way, would you expect them to start and
play the music etc.?

Cheers,
Nige

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

>>I've just won a couple of games off ebay, and when I try them the vectrex starts ok, it plays the music and shows the title screen but doesn't respond to any button presses. It works fine with other carts that I own, so I was wondering if anybody had any ideas?<<

Which games are you talking about?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Rob Mitchell wrote:
>>>I've just won a couple of games off ebay, and when I try them the vectrex starts ok, it plays the music and shows the title screen but doesn't respond to any button presses. It works fine with other carts that I own, so I was wondering if anybody had any ideas?<<
>

> Which games are you talking about?

Hi Rob

Armor Attack and Starhawk...

Nige

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

>>I was wondering if anybody had any ideas?<<

I suggest cleaning the cart contacts with isopropyl alcohol .. or a
pencil eraser and see if that makes a difference. Hope that helps!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Nige <nige@zaonce.com> wrote in message news:<2vh4h0F2lpkj6U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Hi all
>
> I've just won a couple of games off ebay, and when I try them the
> vectrex starts ok, it plays the music and shows the title screen but
> doesn't respond to any button presses. It works fine with other carts
> that I own, so I was wondering if anybody had any ideas?
>
> If the games were broken in some way, would you expect them to start and
> play the music etc.?
>
> Cheers,
> Nige

When you say it plays music, do you mean that it plays the generic Vectrex
music while displaying the Vextrex banner?

Or is it playing the game specific music while displaying the title of
the game plugged into the machine?

And what happens next? Does the screen just go blank?

Normally, if you don't hit any buttons, the game will start playing
by itself (after several seconds).

Do you have any other cartridges which work ok?
If yes, then this could indicate a bad cartridge or maybe dirty connector
on those two games.

Peteski

Peter W. wrote:
> Nige <nige@zaonce.com> wrote in message news:<2vh4h0F2lpkj6U1@uni-berlin.de>...
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I've just won a couple of games off ebay, and when I try them the
>>vectrex starts ok, it plays the music and shows the title screen but
>>doesn't respond to any button presses. It works fine with other carts
>>that I own, so I was wondering if anybody had any ideas?
>>
>>If the games were broken in some way, would you expect them to start and
>>play the music etc.?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Nige
>

> When you say it plays music, do you mean that it plays the generic Vectrex
> music while displaying the Vextrex banner?
>
> Or is it playing the game specific music while displaying the title of
> the game plugged into the machine?
>
> And what happens next? Does the screen just go blank?
>
> Normally, if you don't hit any buttons, the game will start playing
> by itself (after several seconds).
>
> Do you have any other cartridges which work ok?
> If yes, then this could indicate a bad cartridge or maybe dirty connector
> on those two games.

It plays the game specific music.

Nothing happens - just the music then it sits there showing the game
title and '1 PLAYER'.

It doesn't seem to go into any demo mode.

Other cartridges work fine.

Bad cartridges then?

Nige

Nige <nige@zaonce.com> wrote in message news:<2vsfdjF2pn8cnU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Peter W. wrote:
> > Nige <nige@zaonce.com> wrote in message news:<2vh4h0F2lpkj6U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> >
> >>Hi all
> >>
> >>I've just won a couple of games off ebay, and when I try them the
> >>vectrex starts ok, it plays the music and shows the title screen but
> >>doesn't respond to any button presses. It works fine with other carts
> >>that I own, so I was wondering if anybody had any ideas?
> >>
> >>If the games were broken in some way, would you expect them to start and
> >>play the music etc.?
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Nige
> >

> > When you say it plays music, do you mean that it plays the generic Vectrex
> > music while displaying the Vextrex banner?
> >
> > Or is it playing the game specific music while displaying the title of
> > the game plugged into the machine?
> >
> > And what happens next? Does the screen just go blank?
> >
> > Normally, if you don't hit any buttons, the game will start playing
> > by itself (after several seconds).
> >
> > Do you have any other cartridges which work ok?
> > If yes, then this could indicate a bad cartridge or maybe dirty connector
> > on those two games.
> >

> It plays the game specific music.
>
> Nothing happens - just the music then it sits there showing the game
> title and '1 PLAYER'.
>
> It doesn't seem to go into any demo mode.
>
> Other cartridges work fine.
>
> Bad cartridges then?
>
> Nige

It might be just a dirty connector.
Take the cartrdge apart (1 screw on the bottom) and take the circuit board out.
Then, using a pencil eraser, clean the edge connector. Use a plain
pencil eraser (not the kind for ink, as it has ground glass in it). When
the pads look nice and shiny, take a piece of paper towel soaked with
94% (or higher) alcohol (Isopropyl is fine), and wipe any residue off the
pads.

Now, the connector should be clean-as-new. If the game still doesn't
work then the PROM inside the cartridge is most likely bad.

Peteski

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Despite all prevention efforts, Nige <nige@zaonce.com> wrote in

> It plays the game specific music.
>
> Nothing happens - just the music then it sits there showing the game
> title and '1 PLAYER'.
>
> It doesn't seem to go into any demo mode.
>
> Other cartridges work fine.
>
> Bad cartridges then?
>
> Nige

This doesn't really help you any, but I'd be willing to take any non-
working carts off your hands. :) I assume, though, that you'll be
complaining to the seller if they are in fact bad.

--
Slor