Help! XP stuck in "Windows" boot screen

March 19, 2005 3:01:02 PM

I was having some difficulty printing my Lexmark printer and it was slowing
my machine down. I tried to terminate some Lexmark processes as well as the
spooler and managed to get enough control of my machine to reboot it. Now if
I try to start my machine it is perpetually stuck in the "Windows XP" boot
screen. The progress bar still moves but it just wont boot to the desktop.
I'm apprehensive about doing a windows repair from the boot disc because the
disc I have is SP1 and I'm also running a striped RAID array and the windows
setup screen does not recognize my harddrives with out the drivers I have on
floppy. I would rather not risk losing my data on my storage partitions (XP
does have its own partition).

Is there any way to fix this through a DOS boot disc? I fear I may have
terminated some processes I shouldn't have, although I thought they would be
restarted upon a reboot. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:59:06 AM

Whatever driver problem you have should not show up booting the Safe Mode.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509