connecting two PC's via ethernet

I'm trying to connect two pc's via ethernet. I'm only trying to transfer
files, not trying to connect to anything else (i.e. the internet or an
existing network).

I've run the gambit with Windows Network Setup but still have nothing.

The lights are on for both computers so I know they're "connected" they
just seem not to want to "talk to" each other.

Any suggestions?

TIA

-Villain

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Is the ethernet cable you are using a crossover cable??
It has to be a crossover cable.

Gary wrote:

> Is the ethernet cable you are using a crossover cable??
> It has to be a crossover cable.

See while connecting two same devices, you need one crossover cable. Then
all you need to do is follow this procedure:

1. give each PC a static IP address by configuring the TCP/IP properties. If
you have both windows machines, right-click on My Network Places and select
Properties. Then highlight TCP/IP properties and click 'properties'. Here
is the screen where you can give the static ip address e.g.200.200.200.1.
Both PCs should have different ips but should belong to same class.i.e. net
mask.

2. To test if connection is rightly done, ping one computer from another
e.g. ping <ip-address_of_other_comp> or ping <other_comp_name>

3. To share files you need to configure both PC's for file and print share
service which is again available from the dialog box where TCP/IP
properties was found or you may have to add this then configure
--
I'm Shakti. I want to be an expert.