Windows won't start after memory upgrade

I have an HP Pavilion 6835 with two 64MB DIMMS. I purchased two 256MB DIMMS
(specifically for the 6835) from crucial.com. When I install both DIMMS
(total of 512MB) Windows does not start with the message:
"We appolgize for the inconvienence but windows did not start sucessfully. A
recent hardware or software change might have caused this."

If I install one DIMM by itself or with one of the original 64MB DIMMs, it
starts fine and shows the correct ammount of memory. Both new DIMMs work in
both slots by themselves or with a 64MB DIMM.

Any suggestions?
6 answers Last reply
More about windows start memory upgrade

    Does your owners manual specify an installation order?

    Does it specify what memory sticks can be used?

    You also should contact the BIOS manufacturer to see if they have an
    upgrade.

    "sysdev" <sysdev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an HP Pavilion 6835 with two 64MB DIMMS. I purchased two 256MB
    >DIMMS
    > (specifically for the 6835) from crucial.com. When I install both DIMMS
    > (total of 512MB) Windows does not start with the message:
    > "We appolgize for the inconvienence but windows did not start sucessfully.
    > recent hardware or software change might have caused this."
    >
    > If I install one DIMM by itself or with one of the original 64MB DIMMs, it
    > starts fine and shows the correct ammount of memory. Both new DIMMs work
    > in
    > both slots by themselves or with a 64MB DIMM.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I have the latest BIOS version.
    The system is supposed to support up to 512MB (two 256MB DIMMs) and I
    specifically ordered the correct DIMMS from crucial.
    The BIOS does not complain about the memory.

    "JerryM (ID)" wrote:

    > Does your owners manual specify an installation order?
    >
    > Does it specify what memory sticks can be used?
    >
    > You also should contact the BIOS manufacturer to see if they have an
    > upgrade.
    >
    > "sysdev" <sysdev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have an HP Pavilion 6835 with two 64MB DIMMS. I purchased two 256MB
    > >DIMMS
    > > (specifically for the 6835) from crucial.com. When I install both DIMMS
    > > (total of 512MB) Windows does not start with the message:
    > > "We appolgize for the inconvienence but windows did not start sucessfully.
    > > recent hardware or software change might have caused this."
    > >
    > > If I install one DIMM by itself or with one of the original 64MB DIMMs, it
    > > starts fine and shows the correct ammount of memory. Both new DIMMs work
    > > in
    > > both slots by themselves or with a 64MB DIMM.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

    Power supply is probably insufficient to handle that much memory.

    If you have a second hard drive or an extra CD reader/burner you can
    disconnect, do so and try again.

    Recently had the same problem with a top rated 400 Watt supply, 2 X7200 RPM
    Hard Drives, CD burner, Cd-rom, Video card and a SCSI card.

    Disconnecting second hard drive or the or cd-rom allowed booting.
    In fact it even allowed 20% overclocking.

    "sysdev" <sysdev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an HP Pavilion 6835 with two 64MB DIMMS. I purchased two 256MB
    >DIMMS
    > (specifically for the 6835) from crucial.com. When I install both DIMMS
    > (total of 512MB) Windows does not start with the message:
    > "We appolgize for the inconvienence but windows did not start sucessfully.
    > recent hardware or software change might have caused this."
    >
    > If I install one DIMM by itself or with one of the original 64MB DIMMs, it
    > starts fine and shows the correct ammount of memory. Both new DIMMs work
    > in
    > both slots by themselves or with a 64MB DIMM.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    The power supply should be fine. The system is supposed to support 512MB
    also, it is supposed to support up to a 1GHz PIII (it currently has a 800MHz
    Celeron).

    > The power supply should be fine. The system is supposed to support 512MB
    > also, it is supposed to support up to a 1GHz PIII (it currently has a
    800MHz
    > Celeron).
    >

    > "Oldguy" wrote:
    >
    > > Power supply is probably insufficient to handle that much memory.
    > >
    > > If you have a second hard drive or an extra CD reader/burner you can
    > > disconnect, do so and try again.
    > >
    > > Recently had the same problem with a top rated 400 Watt supply, 2 X7200
    RPM
    > > Hard Drives, CD burner, Cd-rom, Video card and a SCSI card.
    > >
    > > Disconnecting second hard drive or the or cd-rom allowed booting.
    > > In fact it even allowed 20% overclocking.

    Yes, the power supply should be fine, but "should" does not equal "is". You
    can't assume that any part of your system is working correctly.
    Jim

    Agreed. I'll check it out. However, assuming it's not the power supply,
    does any one know of any possible software configuration problems that could
    cause this?

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "sysdev" <sysdev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The power supply should be fine. The system is supposed to support 512MB
    > > also, it is supposed to support up to a 1GHz PIII (it currently has a
    > 800MHz
    > > Celeron).
    > >

    > > "Oldguy" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Power supply is probably insufficient to handle that much memory.
    > > >
    > > > If you have a second hard drive or an extra CD reader/burner you can
    > > > disconnect, do so and try again.
    > > >
    > > > Recently had the same problem with a top rated 400 Watt supply, 2 X7200
    > RPM
    > > > Hard Drives, CD burner, Cd-rom, Video card and a SCSI card.
    > > >
    > > > Disconnecting second hard drive or the or cd-rom allowed booting.
    > > > In fact it even allowed 20% overclocking.
    > > >
    > Yes, the power supply should be fine, but "should" does not equal "is". You
    > can't assume that any part of your system is working correctly.
    > Jim

Memory Upgrade Windows XP