zoodemon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
hi i bought a shiny new gfx card without realising it may not work with win 98. When i installed the drivers it said ati win 98 drivers and to some extent it worked, it was not stable though as it was jerky and kept crashing completely, including turning my pc off. I've tried installing some new drivers but now it won't load them after restart and now the pc warns me that it doesn't like my display settings. Has anyone used win 98 with this card?? Should i uninstall it?

Now on starting windows i know get the display box come up with the following error - adapter type incorrect which brings up the colour display settings screen but it only asks me to restart if i ok it. I end up with the same thing on rebooting. If i cancel it continues to desktop.

I realised i had not downloaded the new control panel so i've tried that, along with clearing my drivers with driver cleaner and then reloading dx 9. When i try to install the downloaded drivers i get the zero display instances error. getting nowhere at the moment.

Appreciate any help, thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Rebooting sounds like a power issue. Unable to instal driver sounds like you may have not yet installed the AGP interface driver for your chipset.

It would help if you listed your motherboard, CPU, RAM, and power supply.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

The r9600P works with W98,but it may not work with your AGP slot on your MOBO. What's your MOBO mofo?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

zoodemon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
ok my specs are - k7s5a mobo (which has 4x agp), win 98 se, 40 gig hd, 256 sdram single stick, and the 9600pro.

i think i've managed to install the drivers ok. don't have all the control panel stuff i seemed to have with the original installation. Anyway seems happy enough.
The pc is still freezing up though which is a problem i've been having with my bios on this mobo for a while. d/l a new bios recently but it still won't run at 133/133 or atleast run anything busy. What do you mean by decent psu, how would i know. It's 300w. Noticed my system bus says it's only 66mhz, is that normal??

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
With a 300 watt powersupply, you may/or may not be able to have your 9600 Pro card working. It should work with a 300 watt. But some cards are known to not even work on some cheaper builds of 300 watt power supplies.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, so far nearly every problem you've listed is normally caused by either RAM or power problems.

Your system bus running at 66MHz would be a low speed diagnostics mode. Used for testing purposes when problems occur.

I'd download Memtest86 (it's all over the web), crank your bus speed up to 100MHz, and run that program (it goes on a bootable floppy). Then you'll know if your memory is capable of at least PC100 speed. Of course you should be using PC133 with most Athlon proccessors that work on your board (if you're using an older 100MHz bus Athlon, or Duron, PC100 should work).

As for your power supply, I can't remember if ECS shows voltage levels in BIOS or not, but you might want to check. Or you could at least check your 5v and 12v lines using a volt meter from a drive power connector.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

zoodemon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
ok i got the gfx card working eventually. Yes i had to change the psu twice, initially a qtec 350w rated to 180w total, this stopped the jittering but would still reset. So i upgraded the psu to a qtec 550w gold and all is well. I've even pushed the cpu thingy to 143/143 and it's still happy. I've just done belarc and this still says bus clock 66mhz. Is this something different and do i need to try and change it??

I'd like to try and o/c the 9600 pro but i'm using win98se so radclock is out, how can i do it??
thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Perhaps Belark is referring to your AGP clock? AGP interface clock is supposed to be 66MHz.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Rage 3d Tweak.

Stop asking people "whats up" or "hows it goin", you know you don't give a sh*t. And noone cares how you're doing either.

"We are far less than we knew." - Bright Eyes