Windows Explorer and Desktop Display

My desktop was a single image picture yesterday, with a dozen icons. Today
there is a vertical Blue band about 2 inches wide on the left of the screen,
with drop down links in the blue band. The band looks similar to the control
panel "classic view" Style.
The picture and icons that used to be my full desktop are still there, but
they are no longer full screen, they are moved over to the right and now
occupy about 80% of the screen. I cannot right click on the blue band area
but I can on the rest of the desktop, but I have not been able to go into
display to change it back successfully to full screen.

The Drop Down links in the blue band section are:
1. "Folder Tasks (the sub links for this one are "make a new folder" and
"Share a new folder"),
2. "Other Links"(The Sub links for this one are "My Documents" "Shared
Documents" "My Network Places"
3. "Details"(no sublinks, only an indication that this is now my "Desktop"

When I click on my "Quick launch" icon for "Windows Explorer", it takes me
back to this combination desktop / blue band thing.

I tried going back to a restore point from the day before when everything
was fine, but it did not remove this band.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It may be a registry error.

Thanks

--
CC Clark

Remove Common Tasks from the Desktop

Start | Run | Type: regsvr32 /i shell32 | OK |
Restart Windows.

From...
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Go here:

After reading the instructions.
Scroll down to:
15. Remove Common Tasks from the Desktop

XP_CommonTasks.exe - Remove Common Tasks from Desktop
© Doug Knox - 5/04/2003
This application will correct the Registry setting that causes the Common
Tasks pane to appear on the Windows XP Desktop.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3245F77C-0CC6-46B5-9242-2940DC836ADE@microsoft.com,
CC Clark <CCClark@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> My desktop was a single image picture yesterday, with a dozen icons.
> Today there is a vertical Blue band about 2 inches wide on the left
> of the screen, with drop down links in the blue band. The band looks
> similar to the control panel "classic view" Style.
> The picture and icons that used to be my full desktop are still
> there, but they are no longer full screen, they are moved over to the
> right and now occupy about 80% of the screen. I cannot right click on
> the blue band area but I can on the rest of the desktop, but I have
> not been able to go into display to change it back successfully to
> full screen.
>
> The Drop Down links in the blue band section are:
> 1. "Folder Tasks (the sub links for this one are "make a new folder"
> and "Share a new folder"),
> 2. "Other Links"(The Sub links for this one are "My Documents" "Shared
> Documents" "My Network Places"
> 3. "Details"(no sublinks, only an indication that this is now my
> "Desktop"
>
> When I click on my "Quick launch" icon for "Windows Explorer", it
> takes me back to this combination desktop / blue band thing.
>
> I tried going back to a restore point from the day before when
> everything was fine, but it did not remove this band.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this? It may be a registry error.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> CC Clark

Wes:

I used the .exe file from Doug Knox. It worked.

Thank you

CC Clark

CC,

Good deal. Keep having fun! :)