Ehhh... bit of a problem here...

rdudek

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2001
I seem to have a problem with onscreen artifacts and was wondering if its the graphic card problem. I have a Geforce 3 classic card from VisionTek. Bought it when it first came out =P

Anyway, bout a month ago I noticed that my computer booted into windows all funny. The WinXP boot screen had major artifacts all over it. I quickly pressed the reset button and it went away. Few days later same thing happened only this time I let the system load. My monitor went into standby for about 20-something seconds when the WinXP boot screen disappeared and finally turned back on. The welcome screen showed up loaded with pixalated artifacts with a critical error message saying windows couldnt load the nvidia display driver properly.

I pressed the restart button but then my Asus P4P800 mobo screen got artifacts on it too. I quickly went into BIOS to disable my 20% overclock I had. Saved changes and rebooted. Windows booted normally except some icons were displaying incorrectly and missing. So I rebooted again and this time everything was fine.

I did a video card driver update at that point hoping it was a driver issue. 3 weeks passed without a problem.

Now today things got bad. When I tried to launch the War of the Ring LOTR demo, the screen flickered and turned black. I rebooted. The windows had tons of onscreen artifacts. I rebooted again, most of them disappeared but they're still present. I went to Asus website to flash my BIOS (been using beta bios version for a while) and that didnt fix anything.

My next step is to reinstalling video card drivers. If that doesnt help, I'll remove the card and put it back in to see if it helps. If that doesnt, I'll format the system. If that doesnt, I completely ran out of ideas. Might get a new card to see if it helps.

Anyone here got any ideas? I dont want to get a new card yet. Was hoping to get one this xmas =[

You have exceeded the limit use of your current pointing device, reboot NOW!

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hopefully a reload of the OS could fix this but there is a hint of card-death here...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Maybe a Marneus is right.

I did have a Voodoo2 card with somewhat similar behavior to yours. It would get allthese weird colors after playing for while all of a sudden, and when I rebooted everything would be fine. That card never died on me though, as much as the problem sucked.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

infiltrator

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
When stuff like this happens, I strip the PC down and give it a good cleaning. Normally fixes it 90% of the time. Sometimes just reseating all the cards/simms works.

Also try totally uninstalling your video drivers and re-installing them.

rdudek

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2001
yea I'll try airblowing through. But I dont think its dirty... I put this PC like in the beggining of July =P Only thing thats old is the graphic card, cd and dvd drives, and my HD's =] everything else is brand spankin new

You have exceeded the limit use of your current pointing device, reboot NOW!